A clear and readable account of the development of the European economy and its infrastructure from the second century to 1500. Professor Pounds provides a balanced view of the many controversies within the subject, and he has a particular gift for bringing a human dimension to its technicalities. He deals with continental Europe as a whole, including an unusually rich treatment of Eastern Europe. For this welcome new edition -- the first in twenty years -- text and bibliography have been reworked and updated throughout, and the book redesigned and reset.
List of figures.
List of abbreviations.
Foreward to the first edition.
Foreward to the second edition.
1. The later Roman Empire.
2. The early middle ages.
3. The expansion of the medieval economy.
4. The population of medieval Europe.
5. Agriculture and Rural life.
6. The development of the medieval town.
7. Medieval manufacturing.
8. Trade in the middle ages.
9. The commercial revolution.
10. The late middle ages.