This practical handbook is an essential reference for GPs when dealing with musculoskeletal disorders, as well as a useful exam prep aid for the common MSK cases that occur in the CSA. Responding to increasing pressures on GPs to reduce the number of referrals and treat more patients in the community, the book covers a breadth of orthopaedic disorders, with clear colour photographs and diagrams to demonstrate techniques in practice.
Chapters are authored by experts in each disorder with GP input, putting a strong focus on diagnosis and easy-to-follow processes for deciding courses of action and investigation. Each section explores the range of treatment options for that topic, including step-by-step injection techniques where relevant, and signposts need-to-know areas with ‘red flags’.
This is an important reach-for guide to assist GPs with easy diagnosis and to provide clear direction on next recommended steps.It will also be useful for medical students taking orthopaedics modules.
Table of Contents
- Paediatric Orthopaedic Disorders- Mr Sunil Bajaj and Mr Nicholas Nicolaou Consultant Paediatric Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Spine Disorders- Mr Jason Braybrooke, Consultant Orthopaedics (Spine)
- Shoulder Disorders- Miss Alison Armstrong, Consultant Orthopaedics (Upper Limb)
- Elbow Disorders – Mr Kevin Boyd, Consultant Orthopaedics (Sports & Exercise Medicine)
- Hand and wrist Disorders – Mr Bijayendra Singh, Consultant Orthopaedics (Upper limb)
- Hip Disorders – Mr Matthew Seah – Academic Clinical Fellow & Specialist Registrar, and Mr Vikas Khanduja, Consultant Orthopaedics (Hip)
- Knee Disorders – Mr Sanjeev Anand and Mr Tim Green, Consultant Orthopaedics (Knee)
- Foot & Ankle Disorders – Mr Maneesh Bhatia, Consultant Orthopaedics (Foot & Ankle)
- Bone and Soft Tissue Tumours (Lumps and Bumps) – Mr Robert U Ashford, Consultant Orthopaedics (Musculoskeletal Tumour Surgeon) and Dr Phillip N Green General Practitioner
- Preoperative Fitness & Perioperative Issues in MSK patients - Dr Ralph Leighton, Consultant Anaesthetist and Dr Stephen Le Maistre, General Practitioner
- Rheumatology for GPs - Dr Kehinde Sunmboye and Dr Ash Samanta, Consultant Rheumatologists
- The Role of Physiotherapy for Musculoskeletal Disorders in Primary Care - Richard Wood, Extended scope Musculoskeletal Physiotherapist
- Musculoskeletal Disorders – The GP Perspective: Dr Tom Rowley, General Practitioner
Maneesh Bhatia is a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon at University Hospitals Leicester, with a private practice at Spire Leicester and Nuffield Health, Leicester Hospital. Whilst trained in a broad range of musculoskeletal disorders, Mr Bhatia specialises in foot and ankle surgery. He did his Orthopaedics training in Guys & South Thomas rotation, London followed by Foot & Ankle fellowships in Cambridge & USA. Mr Bhatia was European Foot and Ankle Fellow of the year 2009. Mr Bhatia has written on foot disorders for the Oxford Textbook of Trauma and Orthopaedics and is involved in a number of research projects. He runs regular GP Orthopaedic Training seminars and Joint injection courses.
Tim Jennings qualified from Guy’s Hospital, London in 1981. He did his VTS training in Leicester from 1982-85. He joined Syston Health Centre, Leicester as a GP Partner in 1985 and continues to work here. He became a GP trainer in 1990. He became the programme director of Health Education East Midlands (HEEM) in 1990 and is still thriving in this role till date. He is School Medical Officer.
"This book could make an excellent contribution to improving GPs knowledge and understanding of the variety of musculoskeletal problems that we see on a daily basis. Its slimness means that it concentrates on the common issues and that I suspect that most people would want it to help them deal with front line problems. Equally its slimness is a physical advantage in that it can be kept in the consulting room within easy access for the healthcare professional to quickly read up on a topic."
Dr Harry Brown, Glycosmedia, December 2017