This book presents a selection of some of the most significant critical work written on Andre Gide during his lifetime and since. As a major writer of the twentieth-century, his life and creative output, as well as his role as a leading intellectual, attracted comment from prominent contemporaries and continues to have relevance today. Containing a substantial introduction and overview, this compilation offers a variety of illuminating perspectives that will inform and guide the general and specialist reader.
General Editor's Preface
List of Abbreviations
Aspects of the Work
1. Justin O'Brien, From Pagan Daemon to christian devel.
2. Mischa Harry Fayer, Liberation from the existing social order.
3. Germiane Bree, Time sequences and consequences in the Gidian world.
4. David Steel, Gide's Prodigal- economics, fiction and the acte gratuit.
5. Philippe Lejeune, Andre Gide and authobiography. Approaches to the texts.
6. Lucien Dallenbach, Andre Gide's shields.
7. Vinion Rosse, The keyhole metaphor and the parable.
8. Albert Guerard, L'Immoraliste.
9. Emily Apter, L'Immoraliste - slips of the text.
10.Albert Sonnenfeld, On readers and reading in La Porte etroite.
11. William M L Bell, Religion and its avatar in La Porte etroite.
12. Alain Goulet, The figurative representation of the literary process in La Symphonie pastorale.
13. Jean Hytier, Gratuitous action and the aesthetic perspective in Les Caves due Vatican.
14. David H Walker, Challenging the novel in Les Faux-Monnayeurs.