Neurodegenerative diseases, including Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease, are a growing problem across the world’s aging population. Oxidative stress in the brain plays a central role in a common pathophysiology of these diseases. This book presents scientific research on the potential of antioxidant therapy in the prevention and treatment of neurodegenerative disorders.
This book outlines the roles of oxidative stress and diabetes mellitus in neurodegeneration, describes the molecular mechanisms of neurodegenerative disorders including the roles of environmental pollutants and inflammatory responses, and explores mitochondrial dysfunction. It then describes the protective abilities of antioxidants – including vitamin D, tocotrienol and coenzyme Q10 – against neurodegeneration. The book demonstrates the therapeutic potential of ketogenic diets, and highlights the roles of medicinal plants, phytopharmaceuticals, traditional medicines and food nutrients in neuroprotection.
- Explains damage caused by numerous neurodegenerative disorders and the possible protection offered by antioxidants and functional foods.
- Describes molecular mechanisms of neurodegeneration by oxidative stress, advancing age, diabetes and mitochondrial dysfunctions.
- Demonstrates protection offered by nutraceuticals, antioxidants, botanical extracts and functional foods.
The book contains twenty-three chapters divided into six sections written by leading researchers. This book is essential reading for health professionals, dietitians, food and nutrition scientists and anyone wanting to improve their knowledge of etiology of neurodegenerative diseases.
Part 1: Overview & Introduction
1. Role of Oxidative Stress in Neurodegeneration
Neelam Yadava and Pradeep K. Shukla
2. Neurodegeneration in Diabetes Mellitus: An Overview
Narsingh Verma and Smriti Rastogi
Part 2: Molecular Mechanisms of Neurodegenerative Disorders, Inflammation and Oxidative Stress
3. Oxidative Stress and Inflammation
Ajaikumar B. Kunnumakkara et al.
4. Role of Environmental Toxicants and Inflammation in Parkinson’s Disease
Biddut Deb Nath et al.
5. Role of Oxidative Stress in the onset of Alzheimer’s disease
Tasnuva Sarowar and Hafiz Uddin
6. A Treatise on the Role of Herpes Virus in Neurodegeneration
Bernard W Downs et al.
7. Lipidomic insight into membrane remodeling in ageing and neurodegenerative diseases: Lipids and Fatty acids
Lucyna A. Wozniak
Part 3: Mitochondrial Dysfunction and Neurodegeneration
8. Mitochondria in Huntington's Disease
Ashu Johri and Abhishek Chandra
9. Mitochondrial Dysfunction in Huntington Disease
Hafiz Uddin, Marufa Rumman and Tasnuva Sarowar
Part 4: Redox Biology, Neurodegeneration and Antioxidant Cytoprotection
10. The Role of Oxidative Stress in Neurodegeneration and Protection by Antioxidants
11. Role of Vitamin D and antioxidant in the prevention and treatment of Alzheimer’s disease
Sonal Sekhar Miraj et al.
12. Role of Vitamin D and antioxidant functional foods in the prevention and treatment of Alzheimer’s Disease Pathology
13. Vitamin D and Neuroprotection in Elderly Population
Abhai Kumar et al.
14. Tocotrienol Vitamin E and Neurodegenerative Disorders
Nirupam Biswas and Savita Khanna
15. Implication of Mitochondrial Coenzyme Q10 (Ubiquinone) in Alzheimer’s Disease
Sayantan Maitra and Dibyendu Dutta
Part 5: Ketogenic Diets in Neuroprotection
16. Improvement of cognitive function in patients with Alzheimer’s disease via ketogenic diets
Kenji Sato and Tosiaki Aoyama
Part 6: Medicinal Plants and Functional Foods in Neurodegenerative Disorders & Therapy
17. The Potential of Food Nutrients in the Prevention and Amelioration of Cognitive Dysfunction Caused by Neurodegenerative Diseases
18. Bioactive Constituents in Indian Medicinal Plants Traditionally Recognized for Brain Health Benefits
Deepak Mundkinajeddu et al.
19. Development of a Synergistic Combination of Huperzia serrata, Convolvulus pluricaulis and Celastruspaniculatusfor Optimal Brain Health and Functions
Imtiaz Ahmad et al.
20. Neurotherapeutic potential of Tinospora Cordifolia
Gurcharan Kaur et al.
21. Roles of Functional Foods in Neuroprotection
Madhumita Barooah and Dibya Jyoti Hazarika
22. Roles of Functional Foods and Nutraceuticals in Neuroprotection: In-Depth Mechanism with Clinical Exploration
Chin-Kun Wang, Hui-Fang Chiua and Kamesh Venkatakrishnanb
23 .Traditional Medicines for Mental Health
Smita Singh et al.
24. PerformLyte, A Prodosomed PL425 PEC Phytoceutical-Enriched Electrolyte Supplement Supports Nutrient Repletion, Healthy Blood pH, Neuromuscular Synergy, Cellular and Metabolic Homeostasis
Bernard W. Downs et al.
25. Nutritional Interventions for The Prevention Of Neurodegenerative Disorders
Pradipta Banerjee et al.
26. Commentary: A Treatise on Neurodegenerative Disorders and Protection by Structurally Diverse Antioxidants and Functional Foods
Abhai Kumar and Debasis Bagchi