206 pages | 149 Color Illus.
This highly illustrated book brings together many concepts related to skin care and antioxidant usage in one convenient text. The second edition now contains the latest antioxidants being marketed, and an analysis of risks and benefits associated.
1. Structure and function of skin
2. Free radicals in biology
3. The skin’s endogenous antioxidant network
4. Effects of solar radiation, air pollution, and artificial blue light on the skin
5. Lipid peroxidation and its measurement
6. Antioxidant assays
7. Electron spin resonance of skin
8. Treatment of skin with antioxidants
9. Antioxidant properties and application information
Appendix 1: Glossary of terms
Appendix 2: Biologically important molecules and mechanisms
Appendix 3: Cellular signaling in skin
Appendix 4: Thermodynamic and kinetic factors that contribute to antioxidant behavior