Applied Molecular Biotechnology: The Next Generation of Genetic Engineering explains state-of-the-art advances in the rapidly developing area of molecular biotechnology, the technology of the new millennium. Comprised of chapters authored by leading experts in their respective fields, this authoritative reference text:
- Highlights the latest omics-based tools and approaches used in modern biotechnology
- Explains how various molecular biology technologies can be used to develop transgenic plants and how those plants can meet growing food and plant-derived product demands
- Discusses chloroplast gene expression systems, mitochondrial omics, plant functional genomics, and whole-genome resequencing for crop improvement
- Explores plant–microbe and plant–insect interactions affecting plant protection and productivity
- Covers animal models, pharmacogenomics, human tissue banking, and the molecular diagnosis of diseases such as cervical cancer, obesity, and diabetes
- Examines the molecular aspects of viral diseases, production of industrial commodities using viral biotechnology, and biotechnological uses of magnetic nanoparticles
- Describes the use of biotechnology in the food, chemical, pharmaceutical, environmental conservation, and renewable energy sectors
Applied Molecular Biotechnology: The Next Generation of Genetic Engineering serves as a springboard for new discoveries in molecular biology and its applications. Thus, this book is an invaluable resource for students and researchers of molecular biotechnology.
Emerging Tools and Approaches to Biotechnology in the Omics Era. Plant Molecular Biology: Tools to Develop Transgenics. Plant Molecular Biotechnology: Applications of Transgenics. The Chloroplast Gene-Expression System. Molecular Biology of Mitochondria: Genome, Transcriptome, and Proteome. Plant Functional Genomics: Approaches and Applications. Whole-Genome Resequencing: Current Status and Future Prospects in Genomics-Assisted Crop Improvement. Molecular Biotechnology of Plant–Microbe–Insect Interactions. Biotechnology for Improved Crop Productivity and Quality. Overview of Methods to Unveil the Epigenetic Code. Animal Models and Biomedical Research. Variations in Our Genome: From Disease to Individualized Cure. Molecular Biotechnology for Diagnostics. Techniques for Cervical Cancer Screening and Diagnosis. Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus, Obesity, and Adipose Tissue Biology. Human Tissue Banking and Its Role in Biomedical Research. Microbial Biotechnology. Molecular Biology of Viruses: Disease Perspective. Viral Biotechnology: Production Perspective. Cell-Free Biosystems. Magnetic Nanoparticles with Multifunctional Water-Soluble Polymers for Bioapplications. Industrial Biotechnology: Its Applications in Food and Chemical Industries. Environmental Biotechnology: Approaches for Ecosystem Conservation. Marine Biotechnology: Focus on Anticancer Drugs. Engineering Genomes for Biofuels.
"... timely and very much needed. … a comprehensive … [book] covering all important aspects of the technology."
—From the Foreword by Dr. Kauser Abdulla Malik, HI, SI, TI, Distinguished National Professor, Dean for Postgraduate Studies, Forman Christian College (A Chartered University), Lahore, Pakistan
"This book is certainly a very valuable guide for any safety manager intending to build and maintain an effective safety activity. The focus on human factors is on the most relevant aspects as much as the need to define the most valuable ways to perform a retrospective analysis of occurrences.
The implementation of a Safety Management System is the essential instrument on which safety processes and company operations are based. The correct approach to dealing with human factors and in particular to analyzing the contribution pf human errors to incident causation is a crucial pillar, but not the only one, on which the entire foundation of organizational safety is based. This book offers a valuable support in ensuring this is achieved."
—Cogn Tech Work, 2016