Arabic Grammar in Context offers a unique and exciting approach to learning grammar. It presents grammar as a necessary and essential tool for understanding Arabic and for developing comprehension and production skills.
- authentic texts from a rich variety of sources, literary and non-literary, used as the starting point for the illustration and explanation of key areas of Arabic grammar
- clear and authoritative demonstration of the relevance of grammar for understanding and interpreting Arabic
- a wide range of appropriate exercises designed to consolidate learning
- fully vocalized exercises and texts
- a glossary of vocabulary and expressions provided at the end of the book
- audio readings of the texts available online for additional listening practice.
Suitable for class use and independent study, Arabic Grammar in Context is ideal for intermediate to advanced learners of Arabic.
Table of Contents
The Definite Article الـ التَّعْريف
Noun-Adjective and ’iDaafa Phrases الصِّفَة والمَوْصوف والإضافَة
Present and Future Tenses زَمَنا المُضارِع والمُسْتَقْبَل
The Past Tense الزَّمَن الماضي
The Nominal/Verbless Sentence الجُمْلَة الاِسْمِيَّة
إنَّ and its Sisters and كانَand its Sisters
كادَ and its Sisters
Relative Pronouns الأسْماء المَوْصولة and Sentence Adjective جُمْلة الصِّفة
Adverb of Manner الحال
Adverbs of Time and Place ظَرْفا الزَّمان والمَكان
Adverb of Specification التَّمْييز
Adverb of Cause المَفْعول لِأَجْلِه
Adverb of Emphasis/Cognate Accusative المَفْعول المُطْلَق
The Imperative and Negative Imperative الأَمْر والنَّهْي
The Passive Voice المَبْنِيّ لِلْمَجْهول
The Number Phraseالعَدَد والمَعْدود
Conditional Sentencesالجُمَل الشَّرْطِيَّة
The Vocative النِّداء
Diptotesالمَمْنوع مِنَ الصَّرْف
Additional Texts for Review نُصوص إضافِيَّة لِلْمُراجَعَة
Mohammad T. Alhawary is Professor of Arabic Linguistics and Second Language Acquisition at the University of Michigan. He teaches graduate and undergraduate courses on Arabic language and Arabic theoretical and applied linguistics.
"Conceived as an exercise tool, [Arabic Grammar in] Context serves that objective sufficiently."
- Wim Van Thes