Architectural Affects after Deleuze and Guattari is the first sustained survey into ways of theorising affect in architecture. It reflects on the legacy and influence of Gilles Deleuze and Félix Guattari in the uptake of affect in architectural discourse and practice, and stresses the importance of the political in discussions of affect. It is a timely antidote to an enduring fixation on architectural phenomenology in the field.
The contributors offer a variety of approaches to the challenges presented in discussing the relation between affect and architecture, and how this is contextualised in the broader field of affect studies. Ranging from evaluations of architectural and urban productions and practices, to inquiries into architectural experience, to modes of affective inquiry in education, to experimental affective writing, each contribution to this seminal volume suggests ways of developing a more sustained approach to a crucial thematic domain.
The volume will be of use to students at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels; researchers, theorists and historians of architecture and related urban and spatial disciplines; the fields of social science and cultural theory; and to philosophy, in particular the studies of Deleuze and Guattari, and Baruch Spinoza.
Marko Jobst and Hélène Frichot
1. Infrastructural Affects: Challenging the Autonomy of Architecture
2. Affect, Architecture and the Apparatus of Capture
3. Furnishing Noo-Politics: Shared Space in Tāmaki Makaurau Auckland
4. Deep Architecture: An Ecology of Hetero-Affection
5. Green Affect: A "Landscape Music of the Artefacts" in the Swedish Million Programme
6. Walking with Architecture
7. Deleuze, Guattari, and the Nonsubjectified Affects of Architecture
8. Affection for Aborted Architecture
Chris L. Smith
9. A City That Could Not Be Named
10. Affective Witnessing: [Trans]posing the Western/Muslim Divide to Document Refugee Spaces
Nishat Awan and Aya Musmar
11. Starting with Difference: &rchitecture
Stefan White, Stephen Walker, Mark Hammond and Cagri Sanliturk
12. Regulating Affect: 6 Scenes from the Westin Bonaventure Hotel, Los Angeles
13. Supercritical Manifesto (1000 Future Subjectivities)
14. Writing Architectural Affects