Astronaut Academy Inquiry-Based Science Lessons for Advanced and Gifted Students in Grades 2-3
Recipient of the 2020 NAGC Curriculum Award
The word "astronaut" comes from the Greek words meaning "star sailor," and that is exactly what students will become in Astronaut Academy. This 30-lesson interdisciplinary science unit:
- Is designed to teach high-ability second and third graders how to think like real-world astronauts.
- Requires students to explore the far regions of the solar system.
- Was designed using the research-based Integrated Curriculum Model.
- Features challenging problem-based learning tasks and engaging resources.
- Includes detailed teacher instructions and suggestions for differentiation.
In this unit, students study the concept of exploration, journey to each planet, and create their own space station, all while acquiring scientific knowledge and habits, including how to follow the scientific method and properly conduct research and experiments. Suggestions and guidance are included on how teachers can adjust the rigor of learning tasks based on students' interests and needs.