BioElectroMagnetics Human Safety and Biomedical Applications
This book is an educational resource of evolving scientific knowledge in the area of bioelectromagnetics that may serve the interests of students and decision-makers, as well as society as a whole. It is distinguished by extensive descriptions of fundamental biophysical concepts and their relevance to human health. Reflecting the transdisciplinary approach from several different intellectual streams including physics, biology, epidemiology, medicine, environment, risk science, and engineering, the book is quite a venture into the battling studies to assess the latest research on health effects and biomedical applications of EM energy. This new edition of the book particularly looks at the potential threats from the emerging 5G wireless networks, which will deploy large numbers of low-powered smartphones, notebooks, tablets, radio access networks, and other transmitters.
- Introduces necessary biophysical principles of EM fields in the context of their interaction with living systems.
- Strengthens understanding of cutting-edge research on several major areas in the broad area of bioelectromagnetics.
- Presents safety standards and guidelines for human exposure to EM fields.
- Discusses techniques that have been developed to ensure adequate EM-thermal dosimetry required for both health effects and biomedical applications.
- Provides insight into the determinants of EM health risk assessment and public concerns.
- Includes extensive reference list at the end of each chapter to enhance further study.
Riadh Habash is a special appointment professor and McLaughlin Research Chair in Electromagnetic Fields and Health at the University of Ottawa, Canada. He has been the recipient of many awards, including the National Wighton Fellowship Award, and has authored or co-authored over 90 research articles, six books, and five book chapters. His most recent books are Green Engineering in 2017 and Professional Practice in 2019 (CRC Press), with the remaining previous books targeting the area of bioelectromagnetics.
Part I: Foundational Aspects of Bio + Electro + Magnetics
Chapter 1 Foundations of electromagnetism
Chapter 2 Foundations of bioelectromagnetics
Part II: Extremely Low Frequency Fields
Chapter 3 Extremely low frequency field safety
Chapter 4 Health effects of exposure to extremely low frequency fields
Part III: Radio Frequency Radiation
Chapter 5 Radio frequency radiation safety
Chapter 6 Health effects of exposure to radio frequency radiation
Part IV: Therapeutic Applications
Chapter 7 Diathermy therapy
Chapter 8 Hyperthermia therapy
Chapter 9 Ablation therapy
Part V: Dosimetry, Thermometry, and Medical Imaging
Chapter 10 Electromagnetic-thermal dosimetry
Chapter 11 Thermometry and medical imaging
Chapter 12 Electromagnetic risk paradigm