This new volume examines the ecological importance, threats, protection, and management of the biodiversity of freshwater ecosystems, such as lakes, ponds, rivers, streams, reservoirs, pools, and wetlands. As populations have been increasing exponentially, humans are using freshwater ecosystems severely, resulting in habitat destruction and breakdown. Environmental contamination, climate change, the introduction of harmful and invasive organisms, unplanned dredging and de-weeding processes, disposal of sewer systems in freshwater bodies, and badly planned water diversions are the leading causes of habitat loss in freshwaters. These impacts have led to significant decreases in the numbers and productivity of many freshwater species and decreased biodiversity in freshwater.
This book presents a selection of primary research and review papers on several freshwater aquatic biodiversity studies, which involve evaluating plants, macroinvertebrates, macrophytes, benthic zones, and fish diversity in freshwater ecosystems. It provides an abundance of new information on freshwater biodiversity distribution, status, and patterns.
- Discusses the importance, threats, and management of biodiversity of freshwater ecosystems
- Provides detailed coverage of modern and updated techniques used in the evaluation and conservation of freshwater biodiversity
- Looks at the impact of pesticides pollution on freshwater environs, and on aquatic and terrestrial life
- Reviews how global climate change affects freshwater biodiversity
Biodiversity of Freshwater Ecosystems: Threats, Protection, and Management promotes the enhancement and strengthening of freshwater protection and its unique biodiversity for scientists, policymakers, scholars, researchers, NGOs, and the public, providing necessary background knowledge and practical tools to help manage aquatic ecosystems and their biodiversity in a holistic manner.
1. Freshwater Biodiversity: Importance, Threats, and Management
Gyanendra Kumar and Uzma Afaq
2. Freshwater Biodiversity: Advances and Challenges
Sumaya Hassan, Mahroofa Jan, and Asmat Ara
3. Diversity and Management of Freshwater Macrophytes in the Kashmir Himalayas
Nafeesa Farooq Khan and Zafar A. Reshi
4. Genus Schizothorax in the Northwestern Himalayas
Uzma Naseer, Ibraq Khurshid, and Musheerul Hassan
5. Influence of Catchment on Freshwater Biodiversity
Lone Rafiya Majeed, et al.
6. Pesticide Pollution in Freshwater Environs: Impacts on Aquatic and Terrestrial Life
Zia Ur Rahman Farooqi, et al.
7. Developmental Activities and Freshwater Biodiversity
Ruquia Gulzar, Tabasum Hassan, and Aadil Gulzar
8. Global Climate Change and Freshwater Biodiversity
Sami Ullah Qadir, et al.
9. Phytoremediation Potential of Spirodela polyrhiza for Cd and Cr Under Hydroponic Culture
Rifat Ara Wani, Bashir Ahmad Ganaie, and Manzoor Ahmad Shah
10. Factors Affecting Habitat Selection of Freshwater Fishes of Sri Lanka: A Review
Sudesh Batuwita, Sampath Udugampala, and Udeni Edirisinghe
11. Freshwater Biodiversity: Indicators of Eutrophication and Pollution
Mahroofa Jan, Sumaya Hassan, and Asmat Ara
12. Conservation of Biodiversity and Freshwater Ecosystems
Gresh Chander, Sonali Verma, Ruchi Shah, and Rakesh Kumar