Offering a comprehensive overview of biofuels and bioenergy systems, Biofuels: Technologies, Policies, and Opportunities describes advances in technologies and global policies around biofuels as a renewable energy source. It discusses the basics of biofuel and bioenergy systems and current status and potential challenges in developed and developing countries. The book also highlights the questions that should be asked, available options, and processes (conventional and advanced) to enhance biofuel production.
- Details how technological interventions can influence the operation of an effective bioenergy system.
- Presents information regarding renewable energy directives and global policies related to energy chains, energy models, market status, and appropriateness of technology selection for different generations of biofuel generation.
- Covers socio-economic aspects and techno-economic feasibility as well as a detailed life cycle simulations (LCS) approach, revealing the real constraints being faced in the biofuels sector.
- Helps bioenergy professionals to prepare a roadmap for day-to-day operations.
- Describes recent advances such as biohythane, advanced oxidation process, and nanocatalyzed pretreatment for biofuel generation from wastewater.
- Addresses the most commonly discussed issues in the biofuel sector and the rationales underpinning them.
Written for professionals, academic researchers, decision makers, and policymakers in the biofuel sector, this book provides readers with a wide-ranging review of current research and developments in the respective field.
Part 1 Global Outlook of Biofuels. 1. Transition of Biofuels from First to Fourth Generation: The Journey So Far. 2. Intervention in Biofuel Policy through Indian Perspective: An Effort toward Sustainable Development Goals. Part 2 Technological Advances, Challenges & Opportunities of Biofuels. 3. Conventional and the Recent Advances in Technologies for the Production of Different Generations of Biofuels. 4. Paradigm Shift from Biofuel to Biorefinery: Prospects and Roadmap. 5. Challenges and Opportunities Associated with Second-Generation Biofuel. 6. Advanced Oxidation-Based Pretreatment of Wastewater for Enhanced Biofuel Production. 7. Nanocatalyzed Pretreatment of Wastewater for Biofuel Production. 8. Recent Status Potential Challenges and Future Perspectives of Biofuel Generated through Wastewater Treatment. Part 3 Micro Algae & Biofuel. 9. LCA of an Algal Biomass Plant: Microalgae to Bio-oil through Hydrothermal Liquefaction. 10. Constraints for Biofuel Production from Microalgae. Part 4 Global Policies and Storage System for Biofuels. 11. Renewable Energy Directives and Global Policies for Different Generation of Biofuel. 12. Biofuels Storage and Transport Systems: Challenges and Role of Type-IV Composite Overwrapped Vessels. Part 5 Anaerobic Biotechnology. 13. Anaerobic Biotechnology: A useful Technique for Biofuel Production. Part 6 Advance Green Fuel. 14. Biohythane Production : Future of Biofuel. 15. Waste-Derived Biohydrogen Enriched CNG/Biohythane: Research Trend and Utilities. 16. Effect of Co-Digestion and Pretreatment on the Bio-Hythane Production.