This book provides comprehensive and simplified coverage of fundamentals of biogas such as production, purification, storage, methods of improving yield and utilization, types, construction, design and operation of biogas plants. It covers stepwise design and a manual for construction of biogas plants including a planning guide, profitability analysis and evaluation of biogas plants. The biogas energy profile in Nigeria is exclusively covered.
- Explores planning for biogas plants as a pre-requisite to develop a functional plant balancing energy production and consumption.
- Gives out detailed provision of the types of substances that are and can be used for biogas production covering animal, municipal, and industrial wastes.
- Provides knowledge for aspiring biogas producers as well as decision makers, specifically in the context of Nigeria.
- Covers use of digestrate for anaerobic digestion as a waste treatment method and on the input (feedstock) to the biogas plant.
- Compares carbon dioxide emissions from biogas plants with fossil fuel plants.
This book aims at Graduate Students and Researchers in Agricultural, Environmental, Chemical, Civil and Energy engineering and related professional audience.
Table of Contents
1. Biogas as a Renewable Energy. 2. Planning for a Biogas Plant. 3. Economic Analysis and User Evaluation of Biogas Plants. 4. Determining the Acceptance of Biogas Plants. 5. Production and Purification of Biogas. 6. Biogas Plants. 7. Design of Biogas Plants. 8. Construction of Biogas Plants. 9. Operating a Biogas Plant. 10. Biogas Stove. 11. Utilization of Biogas and Effluent from Biogas Plants. 12. Renewable Energy Policies and Standards in Nigeria. 13. A Biogas Curriculum for Nigerian Schools. 14. Appendices. 15. References
Professor Isaac Nathaniel Itodo
Isaac Nathaniel Itodo, a Professor of Agricultural Engineering obtained a B.Eng from the University of Jos in 1986, a MSc and PhD from the University of Ibadan in 1989 and 1993 respectively. He was Head of Department (1996 – 2000); Dean, College of Engineering (2004 – 2008) and Director of Linkages (2014 – 2019) at the University of Agriculture, Makurdi, where he has taught for thirty four years, becoming a Professor in 2003 and has several publications in renewable energy. He was President, Solar Energy Society of Nigeria (2015 – 2019) and a Fellow of the Nigerian Society of Engineers and the Nigerian Academy of Engineering.
Professor Abubakar Sani Sambo
Abubakar Sani Sambo is a Professor of Mechanical Engineering. He obtained a First-Class Honours degree in Mechanical Engineering from the Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria in 1979 and a DPhil degree from the University of Sussex, UK in 1983. He was Director, Sokoto Energy Research Centre, Usmanu Dafodiyo University, Sokoto, and Vice Chancellor of the Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University, Bauchi and the Kaduna State University, Kaduna. He was Director General, Energy Commission of Nigeria (2005 – 2012). He is a Fellow of the Nigerian Society of Engineers, Nigerian Academy of Engineering and Nigerian Academy of Science. He is a recipient of two Nigerian national honours: the National Productivity Order of Merit (1997) and the Officer of the Order of the Niger (2000). He has several publications in renewable energy.
Professor Eli Jidere Bala
Eli Jidere Bala, a Professor of Mechanical Engineering obtained a B.Eng and M.Eng from the Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria in 1977 and 1980 respectively, and has taught in the same university since 1978 where he was Head of Department (1991 – 1993; 1997 – 1999). He got a PhD from Cranfield Institute of Technology, UK in 1984. He was Rector of Abubakar Tatari Ali Polytechnic, Bauchi (1993 – 1997) and currently the Director General, Energy Commission of Nigeria, Abuja. He is a Fellow, Nigerian Society of Engineers and the Nigerian Academy of Engineering. He has several publications in renewable energy.