This Biographical Dictionary seeks to put the world of technology in the context of those who have made the most important contribution to it.
For the first time information has been gathered on the people who have made the most significant advances in technology. From ancient times to the present day, the major inventors, discoverers and entrepreneurs from around the world are profiled, and their contribution to society explained and assessed.
The Dictionary presents descriptive and analytical biographies of its subjects in alphabetical order for ease of reference. Each entry provides detailed information on the individual's life, work and relevance to their particular field.
* in the first part of the entry, the information will include the dates and places of the subject's birth and death, together with their nationality and their field of activity
* in the main body of the entry there follows an account of their principal achievements and their significance in the history of technology, along with full details of appointments and honours
* finally an annotated bibliography will direct the reader to the subject's principal writings and publications and to the most important secondary works which the reader can consult for further information.
* The first work in existence to examine technologists in detail
* Contains over 1,500 entries giving detailed information
* Extensive cross-references enable the reader to compare subjects and build up a picture of technological advance^ * Figures drawn from fields such as Aeronautics, Telecommunications, Architecture, Photography and Textiles
`Authoritative entries on more than 1200 individuals who have made significant technical contributions to our modern world make up the Biographical Dictionary of the History of Technology … It should be in all libraries, or give it to someone you really like.' - New Scientist
`The Biographical Dictionary will provide academic and public libraries with much useful information.' - Reference Books Bulletin
`An outstanding piece of work. Any technical reference collection will require this volume, but general reference collections will benefit from holding it, especially in the biographical section. This work is unlikely to be bettered in the foreseeable future.' - Library Review
`There is much to commend in the book … the contributors give clear, straightforward insights into the nature and significance of the technological contributions that the entrants made. Hence the book forms a convenient source on technological history in general and will appeal to a varied readership. It is also easy to use, not only because of its alphabetical format, but because it provides indexes by subject area, topics and name' - Business History