Biology of Disease describes the biology of many of the human disorders and disease that are encountered in a clinical setting. It is designed for first and second year students in biomedical science programs and will also be a highly effective reference for health science professionals as well as being valuable to students beginning medical school. Real cases are used to illustrate the importance of biology in understanding the causes of diseases, as well as in diagnosis and therapy.
"When you first pick up this book and peruse the pages it is immediately encouraging. The presentation and production values are very good, the diagrams and photographs look professional and it is a substantial volume, all of which suggests a worthwhile textbook."
"I would have welcomed this book when I started out in the laboratory, as the books at that time were less welcoming and somewhat drier to read. I recommend this book to students and tutors as a text for any course on the biology of disease."
British Journal of Biomedical Science, Volume 64, Number 1, 2007
"Overall, the book is an excellent introduction to the subject of pathology, disease and laboratory diagnostics, which would be ideal for undergraduate students on biomedical science and related degrees."
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education, 2007
"…an excellent introduction to the subject of pathology, disease and laboratory diagnostics, which would be ideal for undergraduate students on biomedical science and related degrees."
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education
1. The Nature and Investigation of Diseases
2. Pathogens and Virulence
3. Infectious Diseases and Treatments
4. The Immune System
5. Disorders of the Immune System
6. Transfusion and Transplantation
7. Disorders of the Endocrine System
8. Disorders of Water, Electrolytes and Urate Balances
9. Disorders of Acid-Base Balance
10. Diet and Disease
11. Disorders of the Gastrointestinal Tract, Pancreas, Liver and Gall Bladder
13. Disorders of the Blood
14. Disease of the Cardiovascular System
15. Genetic Diseases
16. Membrane, Organelle and Cytoskeletal Disorders
18. Ageing & Disease.
Case Study Discussions
Answers to Questions