Aimed at presenting a systematic design of biorefineries, the book initiates with an overview about relevance and applications explained through origin of raw materials, transformation routes and products. Then, concepts as hierarchy, sequencing and integration are considered which helps in generating a sustainable and strategic design of biorefineries. Further, framework for biorefineries based on techno-economic, environmental and social aspects is analyzed with examples to show the applications. Finally, some mass, energy and economic indices are considered to assess the biorefinery sustainability and key challenges for future development of biorefineries.
- Presents current state-of the-art of the biorefineries design and analyses for in depth understanding of biofuels and biomaterials
- Explores conceptual design of processes
- Concepts discussed with strong engineering approach, including design strategies and techno-economic analyses
- Includes bio-based materials, natural products and food products in the biorefinery concept
- Presentation of structured method to calculate indices of performance of biorefineries
1. The Biorefinery Concept. 2. Biorefinery feedstocks, platforms and products. 3. Biorefinery design strategy: From process synthesis to sustainable design. 4. Techno-economic analysis of biorefineries. 5. Environmental Assessment of Biorefinery Systems. 6. Social Analysis of biorefineries. 7. Development of biorefinery systems: From biofuel upgrading to multiproduct portfolios. 8. Sustainability Assessment of biorefineries based on indices. 9. Key Challenges for Future Development of Biorefineries.
"Biorefineries: Design and Analysis presents current state-of the-art of the biorefineries design and analyses for in depth understanding of biofuels and biomaterials; explores conceptual design of processes; presents concepts discussed with strong engineering approach, including design strategies and techno-economic analyses; includes bio-based materials, natural products and food products in the biorefinery concept; and presents a structured method to calculate indices of performance of biorefineries.
Critique: A seminal work of a groundbreaking technology, Biorefineries: Design and Analysis is impressively well organized and presented, making it an ideal and unreservedly recommended addition to professional, corporate, governmental, college, and university library Chemical Engineering collections in general, and Biorefinery supplemental studies lists in particular."
— Midwest Book Review, December 2018 Issue