Rooted in strategic management research, Business Model Innovation explores the concepts, tools, and techniques that enable organizations to gain and/or maintain a competitive advantage in the face of technological innovation, globalization, and an increasingly knowledge-intensive economy.
Updated with all-new cases, this second edition of the must-have for those looking to grasp the fundamentals of business model innovation, explores the novel ways in which an organization can generate, deliver, and monetize benefits to customers.
Table of Contents
Part I: Intoduction
1. Intoduction to Business Model Innovation
Part II: Analytical Techniques
2. Business Model Frameworks
3. Business Valuation Techniques: A Strategic Management Approach
4. Breakeven Analysis in Strategy and the Margin-SalesRate Matrix (MSM)
5. Business Model Appraisal Frameworks
Part II: Core Concepts
6. Network Effects and Multisided Platforms
8. Disruptive Innovations and Business Models
9. Complementary Assets: A Cornerstone of Profiting from Innovation
10. Long Tail Strategies in Business Models
A. Strategy and Business Models
B. Types of Business Models
C. Glossary of Business Model Terms
D. Important Formulae
Part IV: Cases
1. Alibaba in 2018
2. Tinder: New CEO, New Reputation? Or Should You Swipe Left on Tinder?
3. Spotify: Now What?
4. Snapchat: Another Overvalued Tech Unicorn?
5. Pokémon Go: Way to Go?
6. SoFi (Social Finance Inc.)
7. Airbnb: Innovation in Hospitality
8. Pixar: Changing the Rules of the Game
Allan Afuah is Professor of Corporate Strategy and International Business at the Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan, USA. He is a recipient of the 2012 AMR Best Article Award for his paper, "Crowdsourcing As a Solution to Distant Search." Since obtaining his Ph.D. from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, he has written six books that have been translated into more than ten languages for innovation courses taught at undergraduate, graduate, and doctorate levels.