Business and Sustainable Development in Africa
Medicine or Placebo?
- Available for pre-order. Item will ship after March 31, 2022
The book offers new critical insights into the relationship between corporate social responsibility (CSR) and sustainable development in Africa.
The extent to which CSR initiatives can contribute to sustainable development in Africa remains debatable. This book examines in a very clear structure how, when, and whether CSR initiatives are able to contribute to the realization of the sustainable development goals, peace, and environmental sustainability at the micro-levels of society. It also explores some macro-level issues such as the relationship between taxation and CSR, CSR and human rights, and CSR and public governance and, in so doing, challenges existing CSR dogmas.
With themes aligned with the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), this book provides useful practical guidance for policymakers and business leaders seeking to better understand the strength and limitations of CSR as a vehicle for advancing sustainable development in Africa. It will also appeal to scholars, researchers, and students of African studies, development studies, international business, strategic management, and business and society.
Table of Contents
The Nexus of Business, Corporate Social Responsibility and Sustainable Development in Africa
Uwafiokun Idemudia, Francis Xavier Tuokuu, Tahiru Azaaviele Liedong
1. Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) and Sustainable Development in Africa: A Critical Overview
2. Corporate Social Responsibility and Human Rights
Raymond A. Atuguba
3. Corporate Social Responsibility and Conflicts in Africa
4. Corporate Social Responsibility and Community Development in Africa: Issues and Prospects
Uwafiokun Idemudia, Francis Xavier Tuokuu, Marcellinus Essah, Emmanuel Graham
5. Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) and Taxation in Africa: The Battle for the Ethics of Tax and Responsible Governance
6. Tackling Climate Change in Africa Through Corporate Social Responsibility
Tahiru Azaaviele Liedong, Olushola Emmanuel Ajide, Oluyomi Abayomi Osobajo
7. Corporate Social Responsibility and Institutional Strengthening: A RARE Model for Anti-Corruption in Africa
Tahiru Azaaviele Liedong
8. CSR and Environmental Sustainability Implementation in Mining: Perspectives from Ghana
Prince Amoah and Gabriel Eweje
9. Achieving Sustainable Development Goals Through Corporate Social Responsibility
Uwem E. Ite
Uwafiokun Idemudia is a Professor and Chair of the Department of Social Science at York University, Canada. He teaches in the Business and Society, Development Studies, and African Studies programmes.
Francis Xavier Dery Tuokuu is a Lecturer in Sustainability at Bournemouth University, UK.
Tahiru Azaaviele Liedong is an Associate Professor of Strategy and International Business at the School of Management, University of Bath, UK.