Chemical Engineering Computation with MATLAB®
Chemical Engineering Computation with MATLAB®, Second Edition continues to present basic to advanced levels of problem-solving techniques using MATLAB as the computation environment. The Second Edition provides even more examples and problems extracted from core chemical engineering subject areas and all code is updated to MATLAB version 2020. It also includes a new chapter on computational intelligence and:
- Offers exercises and extensive problem-solving instruction and solutions for various problems
- Features solutions developed using fundamental principles to construct mathematical models and an equation-oriented approach to generate numerical results
- Delivers a wealth of examples to demonstrate the implementation of various problem-solving approaches and methodologies for problem formulation, problem solving, analysis, and presentation, as well as visualization and documentation of results
- Includes an appendix offering an introduction to MATLAB for readers unfamiliar with the program, which will allow them to write their own MATLAB programs and follow the examples in the book
- Provides aid with advanced problems that are often encountered in graduate research and industrial operations, such as nonlinear regression, parameter estimation in differential systems, two-point boundary value problems and partial differential equations and optimization
This essential textbook readies engineering students, researchers, and professionals to be proficient in the use of MATLAB to solve sophisticated real-world problems within the interdisciplinary field of chemical engineering. The text features a solutions manual, lecture slides, and MATLAB program files._
1. Introduction to MATLAB®
2. Numerical Methods with MATLAB®
3. Physical Properties
5. Fluid Mechanics
6. Chemical Reaction Engineering
7. Mass Transfer
8. Heat Transfer
9. Process Control
11. Computational Intelligence
"This is an excellent textbook for chemical engineering students to learn problem-solving skills with computational techniques. This book covers not only all the essential topics of numerical analysis and MATLAB, but also critical review of chemical engineering issues and its relevant computational aspects. This well-written and effectively-designed textbook will allow improving students’ understanding on the effective use of numerical methods and MATLAB computer programming on chemical engineering problems. Also, this book will be an excellent reference for any scientists and engineers who carry out chemical process design and optimization tasks with the aid of computer-aided techniques."
— Jin-Kuk Kim, Hanyang University, Seoul, South Korea
"The author’s approach to extract a diverse range of commonly encountered Chemical Engineering problems from core subject areas and present them with concise solutions in MATLAB is really commendable. This approach renders the book student-friendly and remarkably easy to understand, that even a novice in MALAB is encouraged to work through the book. It is a book that I highly recommend to Chemical Engineering students."
— Faisal Ahmed, COMSATS Institute of Information Technology, Lahore, Pakistan
"This is an excellent or perhaps the best MATLAB guide book specifically designed for chemical engineering students from freshmen to seniors, and even to graduate students. This book is written from the learner’s view point and provides ‘tutorial’ type reader-friendly guidance and instructions. The examples selected are of high level chemical engineering problems through which students can enhance their knowledge and understanding of chemical engineering as they learn how to solve them with MATLAB. This book will also be very helpful as a reference for any chemical engineers who use MATLAB for various problem solving tasks in education and research."
— Kyu Yong Choi, University of Maryland, USA