The nonprofit sector in China (including nongovernmental organizations, foundations, and charities) is fairly new, especially to foreigners, since the rapid development of this "third sector" has not been widely studied in Western scholarship. The contributors to this volume have been engaged in research of China's nonprofit sector for many years, and are intimately familiar with the operation of Chinese nonprofit organizations.
China's Nonprofit Sector describes the development of China's nonprofit sector since 1995, including discussions on the rise of corporate responsibility and charitable foundations, grassroots organizations, and the microphilanthropy that arose after the Sichuan earthquake in 2008. It enumerates the shifting legal framework, the complex relationship between government-affiliated and private sector organizations, the media's role, the emergence of microphilanthropy, and the lack of knowledge of the general public regarding philanthropic enterprises.
This volume, in Transaction's Asian Studies series, directly addresses the topic of China's nonprofit sector and gives a coherent and comprehensive account of its development and challenges. This work will be of value for all policy specialists, Asian Studies scholars, and all individuals interested in China.
Table of Contents
Preface, Dezhi Luv
Introduction, Chien-Chung Huang, Guosheng Deng, Zhenyao Wang, and Richard L. Edwards
Part I: The Development of the Nonprofit Sector in China
1. The Development of China's Nonprofit Sector since 1995, Guosheng Deng
2. The Rise of Corporate Social Responsibility and Charitable Foundations in China, Xiufeng Chen and Li Li
3. The Open Era: Grassroots Organizations and the Development of Civil Society in China, Jiangang Zhu
4. A Major Breakthrough in the Development of the Nonprofit Sector in China, Xiaoyong Huang and Liqiang Cai
Part II: Environment and Challenges of China's Nonprofit Sector
5. Nonprofit Legislation in China, Peifeng Liu
6. Private Nonprofit Organizations: Their Characteristics and Value to Society, Guosheng Deng
7. Trends in Charitable Donations, Zhenyao Wang and Huajun Gao
8. The Charity Industry Network: A New Driving Force in China's Nonprofit Sector, Huajun Gao
9. The Media and China's Nonprofit Sector, Gaorong Zhang and Zhenyao Wang
10. The Transformation of Public Foundations in China, Yongguang Xu
11. Microphilanthropy Transforming China, Li Feng and Xiaoguang Kang
12. Charting the Development of the Nonprofit Sector in Mainland China: Case Studies of Six Organizations, Kam-tong Chan
Glossary of Terms