First published in 2001. Routledge is an imprint of Taylor & Francis, an informa company.
"…an important text…a valuable contribution to the growing scholarship on media and popular culture, masculinity and gender studies, cultural studies, and, of course, Asian and Asian American studies. Also original, and extremely useful for those interested innot just textual analysis but also in pedagogy and social change, is Chan's own thoughtful reflection on his own course Journal of Asian Studies."
1. American Inheritance: Chinese American Male Identities
2. Sax Rohmer's Dr. Fu Manchu: Scrutinizing the Inscrutable
3. Charlie Chan: A Model Minority Man
4. Bruce Lee as a sexualized object of Desire
5. Shang-Chi: Master of Kung Fu
6. From Boyhood to Manhood
7. Towards A Masculinity of Inclusion
Epilogue: Contemporary Asian American Men's Issues