Cities, Capitalism and Civilization looks at the character and distinctiveness of Western Civilization. R.J. Holton sets out to challenge the belief that cities and urban social classes have formed the main component of the advance of civilization, and the principle dynamic of Western capitalism.
This book was first published in 1986.
Table of Contents
1. The city in Western culture
2. The city in social theory: some problems
3. Urbanist theories of transition to capitalism
4. A historical critique of urbanist theory
5. The Western city in comparative historical perspective
6. Cities and the problem of transition in long-term perspective