One look inside Clinical Applications of Bowen Family Systems Theory, and you’ll see that your most current clinical dilemmas are not as difficult to solve as you think. You’ll find plenty of information to assist you in treating a vast audience of populations--the elderly, college students, troubled couples, remarried families, and children with severe medical problems. You’ll also find that you’re able to apply the Bowen systems theory to nearly every clinical situation--emotional dysfunction in children, alcoholism, incest, divorce, depression, phobias, and obsessive-compulsive disorders.Clinical Applications of Bowen Family Systems Theory is an ideal companion for family therapists, clinical psychologists, clinical social workers, psychiatrists, psychiatric nurses, and counselors. You’ll find your working comprehension of Murray Bowen’s work will grow, and you’ll become more adept at applying what you read in real-life clinical situations, especially in these related areas:
- family systems assessment based on the Bowen Theory
- marital fusion and differentiation
- bridging emotional cut-off from a former spouse
- dealing with a child-focused divorce
- case studies of alcoholism and family systemsClinical Applications of Bowen Family Systems Theory is the first book to collect, illustrate, and walk you through a full application of this highly effective treatment method in any number of clinical settings. Both beginning and experienced therapists will find interesting reading in the history of the theory, and the result will be interested clients who begin to create functional, thriving personal histories for themselves.
Table of Contents
Foreword. Introduction. PART I: BOWEN FAMILY SYSTEMS THEORY, ASSESSMENT, AND THERAPY. Overview of the Bowen Theoretical-Therapeutic System. Family Systems Assessment Based on Bowen Theory. Bowen Theory as the Basis for Therapy. PART II: CLINICAL APPLICATIONS. Marital Fusion and Differentiation. Emotional Dysfunction in Children. Treatment of a Family Whose Child Has a Serious Medical Problem. Treating College Students from a Bowen Family Systems Theory Perspective. The Use of Bowen Theory in Clinical Practice with the Elderly. Family Systems Treatment of Depression. Tracking the Emotional Process: Applying Bowen Theory with Phobias and an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Family Systems with Alcoholism: A Case Study. Incest: A Family Systems Perspective. Child Focused Divorce. Treating a Remarried Family System. Bridging Emotional Cutoff from a Former Spouse. Reference Notes. Index.