It is vitally important for medical students and junior doctors to grasp an understanding of ‘real-life medicine’. This innovative book of cases shows how a particular presentation may progress, and the different complications that may arise and emerge over time, which may be missed by the ‘snapshot in time' approach taken by many problem-based volumes. The content reflects the average length of stay for a patient in hospital, in which their situation can change in a multitude of ways, and the management of chronic conditions may also need to be adapted as complications arise.
- Demonstrates the real bedside experiences that medical students can expect, in whichever simple or complex way that they may present
- Cases selected from a range of sub-specialties for comprehensive coverage across the curriculum
- Illustrates the complicated, progressive problems that will be seen while practicing as a doctor with detailed diagrams and diagnostic imagery to aid understanding
- Shows, with timepoints, how differential diagnoses may change as more information becomes available and new symptoms arise
- Describes a typical initial hospital stay, and subsequent presentations to the general practitioner and hospital readmission
Andrew Solomon, BM BCH MA(Hons) DM FRCP, is a Consultant Physician, East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust, Stevenage, UK.
Julia Anstey, BSc (Hons) MBBS, is a Foundation Doctor, Somerset NHS Foundation Trust, Taunton, UK.
Liora Wittner, MBBS BSc, is a Resident in Internal Medicine, Shamir Medical Centre, Be'er Ya'akov, Israel.
With contributions from
Priti Dutta, MBBS BSc FRCR, Consultant Radiologist, Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust, London, UK.
Table of Contents
Case 1. Case 2. Case 3. Case 4. Case 5. Case 6. Case 7. Case 8. Case 9. Case 10. Case 11. Case 12. Case 13. Case 14. Case 15. Case 16. Case 17. Case 18. Case 19. Case 20. Case 21. Case 22. Case 23. Case 24. Case 25. Case 26. Case 27. Case 28. Case 29. Case 30. Case 31. Case 32. Case 33. Case 34. Case 35. Case 36. Case 37. Case 38. Case 39. Case 40. Reference Ranges.
Dr Andrew Solomon is a Consultant Physician and Endocrinologist, East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust, Stevenage, UK
Dr Julia Anstey is a Foundation Doctor, Somerset NHS Foundation Trust, Taunton, UK
Dr Liora Wittner is a Resident in Internal Medicine, Shamir Medical Centre, Be'er Ya'akov, Israel.