Clinical Exercise Science is an introduction to core principles and best practice in exercise science for students and practitioners working with clinical populations. Combining the latest scientific research with evidence-based, practitioner-led analysis, the book offers integrated coverage of the full clinical exercise curriculum, including:
- Pathophysiology of exercise and disease
- Exercise as a clinical intervention
- Exercise, nutrition, and lifestyle
- Health behaviour change
- Clinical skills in exercise science
The book covers a wide range of conditions, including cardiovascular disease, pulmonary disease, metabolic disease and mental health problems, and includes an array of useful features to guide student learning, such as case studies, study tasks, definitions of key terms and suggestions for further reading. With contributions from leading researchers and health practitioners, this is an invaluable foundation text for any clinical exercise science course, and useful reading for any student or practitioner working in exercise science, exercise rehabilitation, health science or physical therapy.
1. Introduction (Andrew Scott) 2. Physical Activity in Cardiac Rehabilitation (Gail Sheppard & Steve Meadows) 3. Physical Activity for Chronic Respiratory Disease (Linzy Houchen-Wolloff, Lorna Latimer & Michael Steiner) 4. Physical Activity for Type II Diabetes (Tom Yates & Andrew Scott) 5. Physical Activity for Mental Health (Naomi Ellis & Leon Meek) 6. Physical Activity for Cancer (Clare Stevinson, Anna Campbell & Helen Crank) 7. Physical Activity after Stroke (Tom Balchin, Sarah Valkenborghs) 8. Exercise for Long Term Neurological Conditions: Multiple Sclerosis and Huntington’s Disease (Johnathan Collett, Helen Dawes & James Bateman) 9. Physical Activity for Osteoarthritis (Gladys Onambélé-Pearson & Neil D Reeves) 10. Pre-operative Cardiopulmonary Exercise Testing and Prehabilitation (Lisa Loughney, Sandy Jack & Denny Z H Levett) 11. Influencing Health Behaviour: Applying Theory to Practice (Lynne Johnston & Andrew Hutchison) 12. Evidence-Based Practice in Physical Activity Promotion (Diane Crone & David V James) 13. Physical Activity Promotion in Primary Health Care and the Community (Christopher Gidlow, Diane Crone & Michelle Huws-Thomas) 14. Evaluating Stealth Motivation Interventions to Promote Exercise Referral Scheme Engagement and Adherence (Samantha Meredith & Chris Wagstaff)