Clinical Handbook of Couple Therapy
Free Shipping (6-12 Business Days)
- This format cannot be shipped to your selected country.
Now in a significantly revised sixth edition with 70% new material, this comprehensive handbook has introduced tens of thousands of practitioners and students to the leading forms of couple therapy practiced today. Prominent experts present effective ways to reduce couple distress, improve overall relationship satisfaction, and address specific relational or individual problems. Chapters on major approaches follow a consistent format to help readers easily grasp each model's history, theoretical underpinnings, evidence base, and clinical techniques. Chapters on applications provide practical guidance for working with particular populations (such as stepfamily couples and LGBT couples) and clinical problems (such as intimate partner violence, infidelity, and various psychological disorders). Instructive case examples are woven throughout.
New to This Edition
*Chapters on additional clinical approaches: acceptance and commitment therapy, mentalization-based therapy, intergenerational therapy, socioculturally attuned therapy, and the therapeutic palette approach.
*Chapters on sexuality, older adult couples, and parents of youth with disruptive behavior problems.
*Chapters on assessment and common factors in couple therapy.
*Chapters on cutting-edge special topics: relationship enhancement, telehealth interventions, and ethical issues in couple therapy.
1. Couple Therapy in the 21st Century, Jay L. Lebow & Douglas K. Snyder
2. Couple Assessment, Douglas K. Snyder & Christina Balderrama-Durbin
II. Models of Couple Therapy
- Behavioral Approaches
3. Cognitive-Behavioral Couple Therapy, Donald H. Baucom, Norman B. Epstein, Melanie S. Fischer, Jennifer S. Kirby, & Jaslean J. LaTaillade
4. Integrative Behavioral Couple Therapy, Andrew Christensen, Sona Dimidjian, Christopher R. Martell, & Brian D. Doss
5. Acceptance and Commitment Therapy for Couples, Erika Lawrence, Aaron Samuel Cohn, & Samuel H. Allen
- Emotion-Centered, Psychodynamic, and Multigenerational Approaches
6. Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy, Susan M. Johnson, Stephanie A. Wiebe, & Robert Allan
7. Object Relations Couple Therapy, Judith P. Siegel
8. Mentalization-Based Couple Therapy, Efrain Bleiberg, Ellen Safier, & Peter Fonagy
9. Intergenerational Factors in Couple Therapy, Mona DeKoven Fishbane
- Poststructural Approaches
10. Narrative Couple Therapy, Jill Freedman & Gene Combs
11. Solution-Focused Couple Therapy, Cynthia Franklin, Anao Zhang, Kristin Bolton, & Helen Taylor Yates
12. Socioculturally Attuned Couple Therapy, Carmen Knudson-Martin & Lana Kim
- Integrative Approaches
13. Common Factors in Couple Therapy, Sean Davis
14. Integrative Systemic Therapy for Couples, Douglas C. Breunlin, William P. Russell, Anthony L. Chambers, & Alexandra H. Solomon
15. Therapeutic Palette Integrative Couple Therapy, Peter Fraenkel
16. Gottman Method Couple Therapy, John Mordechai Gottman & Julie Schwartz Gottman
III. Applications of Couple Therapy
- Specific Relational Issues and Populations
17. Couple Therapy for Partner Aggression, Norman B. Epstein, Jaslean J. LaTaillade, & Carol A. Werlinich
18. Couple Therapy for Infidelity, Kristina Coop Gordon, Erica A. Mitchell, Donald H. Baucom, & Douglas K. Snyder
19. Couple Therapy and Sexuality, Kathryn S. K. Hall & Daniel N. Watter
20. Therapy with Older Adult Couples, Bob G. Knight
21. Divorce Issues in Couple Therapy, Jay L. Lebow
22. Therapy with Stepfamily Couples, Patricia L. Papernow
23. Therapy with Queer Couples, Deb Coolhart
- Couple-Based Therapy for Individual Problems
24. Couple Therapy for Posttraumatic Stress Disorder, Candice M. Monson & Steffany J. Fredman
25. Couple Therapy for Alcohol Problems, Barbara S. McCrady, Elizabeth E. Epstein, & Cathryn Glanton Holzhauer
26. Couple Therapy for Depression or Anxiety, Mark A. Whisman, Steven R. H. Beach, & Joanne Davila
27. Couple Therapy with Parents of Youth with ADHD or Disruptive Behavior Disorders, Frances A. Wymbs, Brian T. Wymbs, & Will H. Canu
28. Couple Therapy and Medical Issues, Nancy Breen Ruddy & Susan H. McDaniel
- Special Topics
29. Relationship Enhancement and Distress Prevention, Ryan G. Carlson, Galena K. Rhoades, Sabrina Johnson, Scott M. Stanley, & Howard J. Markman
30. Telehealth and Digital Couple Interventions, Brian D. Doss, Kayla C. Knopp, Elizabeth R. Wrape, & Leslie A. Morland
31. Ethical Issues in Couple Therapy, Gayla Margolin, Elana B. Gordis, & Hannah F. Rasmussen
"The sixth edition of this classic handbook is a feast for every student and practitioner of couple therapy. It demonstrates the growing depth and the extraordinary range of the field. The chapter authors are the top people in their specialties, and the editors pull it all together with wisdom and perspective. This will be my go-to source for contemporary developments in couple therapy."--William J. Doherty, PhD, Department of Family Social Science, University of Minnesota
"Our program has used this book for our Couples Therapy class for many years, and the sixth edition will continue to be the definitive text. When I was starting out as a therapist, this book was the primary source for me to learn how to treat couples effectively; I'm so pleased that my students can have the same exposure to state-of-the-art work in the field. It is great to see a chapter on teletherapy in the sixth edition, as well as coverage of how therapy models have evolved over time. Chapters that discuss social forces such as gender, class, and race highlight how assessment must include context as well as relational processes. I've been struck by the recent literature on the powerful impact that relationships can have on both mental and physical health. This is the essential guide for therapists looking for ways to address their clients’ relationships."--JoEllen Patterson, PhD, LMFT, Marital and Family Therapy Program, University of San Diego
“The sixth edition continues the Handbook’s essential tradition of presenting a wide scope of approaches to couple therapy. The Handbook does an excellent job of presenting each approach, including core concepts, the science and the art of implementation, and how to tailor treatment for common couple and individual problems. The book also considers developmental and sociocultural differences between clients and therapists. The sixth edition’s particular strengths include timely coverage of established individual approaches being applied to couples, integrative approaches, and navigation of the ethics of couple therapy, including the telehealth and digital couple therapy landscape. The Handbook is a 'must-have' resource for graduate students and professionals."--Shalonda Kelly, PhD, Graduate School of Applied and Professional Psychology, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
"Once again, Lebow and Snyder, following in the superb tradition of Alan Gurman, have produced a volume that uniquely defines couple therapy at this time. The sixth edition of this handbook covers the latest developments in the field with clarity, comprehensiveness, and depth. Along with presenting guiding theory, the chapters discuss practical aspects of the various approaches, providing insights that can be used immediately to improve clinical work and teaching. The book gives students the lay of the land. Experienced practitioners, too, will expand their knowledge and their repertoires of strategies and techniques to help couples resolve their problems."--William Pinsof, PhD, LMFT, ABPP, Founder and Past President, The Family Institute at Northwestern University
"For decades, this handbook has been the authoritative reference on clinical work with couples, and the sixth edition follows in this tradition by providing the most current, comprehensive knowledge. The highly respected editors have engaged the finest practitioners to write on every important topic in the field. In addition to traditional approaches and evidence-based models, it is good to see discussion of innovative integrative approaches. The sixth edition covers critical relational issues that frequently come up in couples work--such as intimate partner aggression, infidelity, divorce, and mental health problems--as well as key contemporary topics like telehealth. This is the ideal text for beginning or advanced couple therapy classes and for experienced therapists who want to stay up to date on the latest perspectives."--Adrian Blow, PhD, LMFT, Professor and Chair, Department of Human Development and Family Studies, Michigan State University
"This fabulous book has everything that a clinician could need for helping couples in distress in the 21st century. Chapters are consistently beautifully and clearly written, with case illustrations that bring the material to life. The contributing authors are global experts in their fields and the result is an authoritative, comprehensive text."--Roz Shafran, PhD, Professor of Translational Psychology, UCL Great Ormond Street Institute of Child Health, University College London, United Kingdom-The book is exactly what therapists interested in couple therapy should read as they embark on a career in the field....This text is ideally suited as an introduction to couple therapy for students....A 'must' for any couple therapist's library. (on the fourth edition)--Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, 01/01/2010ƒƒOffers novices and seasoned clinicians a fine reference book to guide them, whether they are interested in learning about a specific approach to couple therapy, or about how to think about or treat a specific issue. The book will always have a place on my clinical bookshelf. (on the fifth edition)--The Family Psychologist, 03/01/2010ƒƒClearly the definitive reference book in this field....Psychiatrists of any persuasion will find an abundance of valuable pearls. (on the fourth edition)--Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, 10/01/2009ƒƒConsidered to be the authoritative reference in the field of couple therapy….Appropriate for students in the field of couple and family therapy, as well as skilled practitioners. (on the fifth edition)--Doody’s Review Service, 02/22/2016
We offer free standard shipping on every order across the globe.
- Free Shipping (6-12 Business Days)