Clinical Work and Social Action: An Integrative Approach develops a paradigm for social work and human services practice that integrates clinical work and social action. Social workers, clinicians, activists, and educators will explore ways to create harmony in the divisions that currently exist between values, theory, and practice, thereby reducing conflicts in their work. This book identifies central values and selected theoretical ideas for a new model of work that you can adapt to your practice setting. Separate chapters include case material related to work with people of color, work with oppressed populations, and classroom teaching. Clinical Work and Social Action connects the historic split between clinical work and social action to better serve the people with whom you work. Through Clinical Work and Social Action, you will find valuable suggestions and insights into how you can integrate values, theory, and practice as the basis for a new model of work. The book includes topics such as:
- exposing the myth that “politics” has no place in practice with individual clients and families and demonstrates that all practice is political
- examining a new paradigm for practice that encourages change at the individual, agency, and social policy levels
- demonstrating the importance of Paulo Freire’s ideas about dialogical praxis to social welfare work
- teaching a model of practice that facilitates and promotes involvement and open dialogue with people in the community and students in the classroom
- offering insight into how you can respond to the full range of your clients’concerns, such as racism, classism, homophobia, domestic violence, homelessness, disabilities, and emotional difficulties
- exploring how your values, theories, training and experience affect the choice of interventions you make with individuals, groups, and familiesTo bridge the gap between clinical work and social action, you must develop a practice that includes the possibility of social change. With Clinical Work and Social Action, you will find many case studies and examples to help you do just that. This informative book provides you with ways to work with clients to bring about individual and social change and offers strategies for creating change in social agencies and communities.