Colloquial Malay The Complete Course for Beginners
Colloquial Malay: The Complete Course for Beginners has been carefully developed by an experienced teacher to provide a step-by-step course to Malay as it is written and spoken today.
Combining a clear, practical and accessible style with a methodical and thorough treatment of the language, it equips learners with the essential skills needed to communicate confidently and effectively in Malay in a broad range of situations. No prior knowledge of the language is required.
Colloquial Malay is exceptional; each unit presents a wealth of grammatical points that are reinforced with a wide range of exercises for regular practice.
Key features include:
- A clear, user-friendly format designed to help learners progressively build up their speaking, listening, reading and writing skills
- Jargon-free, succinct and clearly structured explanations of grammar
- An extensive range of focused and dynamic supportive exercises
- Realistic and entertaining dialogues covering a broad variety of narrative situations
- Helpful cultural points explaining the customs and features of life in Malay-speaking countries.
- An overview of the sounds of Malay.
Balanced, comprehensive and rewarding, Colloquial Malay is an indispensable resource both for independent learners and students taking courses in Malay.
Audio material to accompany the course is available to download free in MP3 format from www.routledge.com/cw/colloquials. Recorded by native speakers, the audio material features the dialogues and texts from the book and will help develop your listening and pronunciation skills.
Pronunciation Unit 1 Berkenalan Getting acquainted Unit 2 Maaf saya tak faham Sorry, I don’t understand Unit 3 Mahu pergi ke mana? Where are you going? Unit 4 Nak keluar makan? Want to go out and eat? Unit 5 Membeli-belah Shopping Unit 6 Jangan! Don't! Unit 7 Bila sampai? When did you arrive? Unit 8 Selamat Hari Raya Happy Eid Unit 9 Saya sakit kepala I have a headache Unit 10 Macam-macam! There are all sorts of things Unit 11 Amboi! Wow, this tower is so tall! Unit 12 Tak apa! Never mind! Unit 13 Entahlah! Don't know! Unit 14 Helo, boleh saya bantu? Hello, can I help? Unit 15 Tiket sudah dibeli The ticket was bought last week Key to the exercises Malay-English Glossary English-Malay Glossary Index