Colloquial Polish: The Complete Course for Beginners has been carefully developed by an experienced teacher to provide a step-by-step course to Polish as it is written and spoken today.
Combining a clear, practical and accessible style with a methodical and thorough treatment of the language, it equips learners with the essential skills needed to communicate confidently and effectively in Polish in a broad range of situations. No prior knowledge of the language is required.
Colloquial Polish is exceptional; each unit presents a wealth of grammatical points that are reinforced with a wide range of exercises for regular practice. A full answer key, a grammar summary, bilingual glossaries and English translations of dialogues can be found at the back as well as useful vocabulary lists throughout.
Key features include:
- A clear, user-friendly format designed to help learners progressively build up their speaking, listening, reading and writing skills
- Jargon-free, succinct and clearly structured explanations of grammar
- An extensive range of focused and dynamic supportive exercises
- Realistic and entertaining dialogues covering a broad variety of narrative situations
- Helpful cultural points explaining the customs and features of life in Poland
- An overview of the sounds of Polish
Balanced, comprehensive and rewarding, Colloquial Polish is an indispensable resource both for independent learners and students taking courses in Polish.
Audio material to accompany the course is available to download free in MP3 format from www.routledge.com/cw/colloquials. Recorded by native speakers, the audio material features the dialogues and texts from the book and will help develop your listening and pronunciation skills.
Table of Contents
1. Hello. My name’s…2. Is there a hotel around here? 3. How I spend my free time 4. We wish you a pleasant stay 5. Speaking a foreign language 6. We’re going to the cinema. Revise and Consolidate 1 7. I must buy a couple of one or two things 8. In town 9. Dinner at home 10. Can I ask you a few questions? 11. What happened? 12. Just the person I want to see! Revise and Consolidate 2. 13. Can you help me? 14. Don’t bother me! 15. I’ve got nothing to wear 16. What would you do if you…? 17. She married a Frenchman 18. How good to see you back! Revise and Consolidate 3. Key to exercises. Grammar reference. Polish-English glossary. English-Polish glossary. Grammar index. Topics and functions index.
'The grammatical descriptions are very clear and up-to-date, reflecting a profound knowledge of the language and of its study, and of the art of language pedagogy. The course is one more fine example giving the lie to the deep-roots academic tendency to look down on anything which might be tainted with association with "teaching materials".' – Forum for Modern Language
"In all, this is probably the best and most comprehensive Polish language book I’ve come across, and is as such, highly recommended." David Marx: Book Reviews