Colloquial Swedishprovides a step-by-step course in Swedish as it is written and spoken today. Combining a user-friendly approach with a thorough treatment of the language, it equips learners with the essential skills needed to communicate confidently and effectively in Swedish in a broad range of situations. No prior knowledge of the language is required.
This thoroughly revised new edition features:
- progressive coverage of speaking, listening, reading and writing skills and an increased focus on functional language
- structured, jargon-free explanations of grammar
- an extensive range of focused and stimulating exercises
- realistic and entertaining dialogues covering a broad variety of scenarios
- useful vocabulary lists throughout the text
- additional resources available at the back of the book, including a full answer key, a grammar summary and bilingual glossaries
Balanced, comprehensive and rewarding, Colloquial Swedish is an indispensable resource both for independent learners and students taking courses in Swedish.
Audio material to accompany the course is available to download free in MP3 format from www.routledge.com/cw/colloquials. Recorded by native speakers, the audio material features the dialogues and texts from the book and will help develop your listening and pronunciation skills.
Table of Contents
1. Hej! / Hi! 2 .Rebecca, en student / Rebecca, a student 3. Att resa / Travelling 4. På semester/ On holiday 5. Matlagning / Cooking 6. Att bli sambo/ Living together 7. På stan/ In town 8. På universitetet/ At the university 9. Före och efter festen / Before and after the party 10. En svensk familj/ A Swedish family 11. Johanna och hennes vänner /Johanna and her friends 12. Bills bilresa / Bill’s car journey 13. Skogsvandring/ A walk in the forest 14. En recension / A review 15. Kära mormor! Dear Grandma 16. Aj, min tå! / Ouch, my toe! 17. En speciell dag/ A special day
Philip Holmes is Reader Emeritus in Scandinavian Studies at the University of Hull and is now a freelance translator.
Jennie Sävenberg was Swedish language assistant at the University of Hull, where she taught classes using the book.
The late Gunilla Serin taught at the University of Hull.