Colloquial Urdu provides a step-by-step course in Urdu as it is written and spoken today. Combining a user-friendly approach with a thorough treatment of the language, it equips learners with the essential skills needed to communicate confidently and effectively in Urdu in a broad range of situations. No prior knowledge of the language is required.
Key features include:
- progressive coverage of speaking, listening, reading and writing skills
- structured, jargon-free explanations of grammar
- an extensive range of focused and stimulating exercises
- realistic and entertaining dialogues covering a broad variety of scenarios
- useful vocabulary lists throughout the text
- additional resources available at the back of the book, including a full answer key, a grammar summary, bilingual glossaries and English translations of dialogues.
This second edition has been extensively updated and revised throughout, with particular attention to the Urdu script – coverage is now integrated throughout the book and the script font has been enlarged and improved.
Balanced, comprehensive and rewarding, Colloquial Urdu will be an indispensable resource both for independent learners and for students taking courses in Urdu.
By the end of this course, you will be at Level B2 of the Common European Framework for Languages and at the Intermediate-High on the ACTFL proficiency scales.
Audio material to accompany the course is available to download free in MP3 format from www.routledge.com/cw/colloquials. Recorded by native speakers, the audio material features the dialogues and texts from the book and will help develop your listening and pronunciation skills.
Table of Contents
Introduction Urdu writing system and pronunciation Urdu Script 1. Script Lesson 2. Script Lesson 3. Script Lesson 4. Script Lesson 5. Script Lesson Units 1. Greetings and social etiquette 2. Where are you from? 3. What would you like? 4. What are your hobbies? 5. What are you going to do during the holidays? 6. What did you do yesterday? 7. Can you speak Urdu? 8. I need to get cheques cashed. 9. What’s written in the fortune cookie? 10. Festivals English-Urdu glossary Urdu-English glossary Reference grammar Key to exercises Index