Colloquial Vietnamese: The Complete Course for Beginners has been carefully developed by an experienced teacher to provide a step-by-step course to Vietnamese as it is written and spoken today.
Combining a clear, practical and accessible style with a methodical and thorough treatment of the language, it equips learners with the essential skills needed to communicate confidently and effectively in Vietnamese in a broad range of situations. No prior knowledge of the language is required. Colloquial Vietnamese is exceptional; each unit presents a wealth of grammatical points that are reinforced with a wide range of exercises for regular practice. A full answer key, a grammar summary, bilingual glossaries and English translations of dialogues can be found at the back as well as useful vocabulary lists throughout.
Key features include:
- A clear, user-friendly format designed to help learners progressively build up their speaking, listening, reading and writing skills
- Jargon-free, succinct and clearly structured explanations of grammar
- An extensive range of focused and dynamic supportive exercises
- Realistic and entertaining dialogues covering a broad variety of narrative situations
- Helpful cultural points explaining the customs and features of life in Vietnam.
- An overview of the sounds of Vietnamese
Balanced, comprehensive and rewarding, Colloquial Vietnamese is an indispensable resource both for independent learners and students taking courses in Vietnamese.
Audio material to accompany the course is available to download free in MP3 format from www.routledge.com/cw/colloquials. Recorded by native speakers, the audio material features the dialogues and texts from the book and will help develop your listening and pronunciation skills.
Table of Contents
1. Hello 2. At the Airport 3. Arriving to the Hotel 4. Make a Phone Call 5. On a Street 6. At a Restaurant 7. At a Market 8. Visiting Hue and Hanoi 9. Going to the Bank 10. Touring Dalat and Saigon 11. A Friendly Conversation 12. Making Travel Plans for Next Week 13. A Day at the Beach 14. Returning to Hanoi and Saying Goodbye
Ha Minh Nguyen is a Lecturer in Vietnamese at The University of Texas at Austin.
Bac Hoai Tran is a Lecturer in Vietnamese at the University of California, Berkeley.
Tuan Duc Vuong has a master of arts from Hanoi University and was a language teacher for 18 years before being forced to leave Vietnam in 1979. He then studied modern language in London and worked as a language lecturer for the Diplomatic language centre of FCO and at SOAS.