This is an extremely wide-ranging and interdisciplinary survey of colonization from its origins to the post-colonial world. Original and lively, it offers the student:
* a wide focus featuring Africa, America, Asia, Australia, Europe, Japan and the USSR
* an interpretation drawn from cultural and social history, with sections on myth, literature, film and philosophy
* constant reference to implications for the present world situation
* a comprehensive synthesis of the background, context and expansion of colonization
* a comparative thematic discussion of the impact of imperialism
* extensive coverage and analysis of decolonization.
Very simply, a key publication for the study of colonization.