Affordable, easy-to-use, and flexible transportation options are vital to older adults' quality of life. Community Mobility: Driving and Transportation Alternatives for Older Persons provides physical and occupational therapists with recent research findings on older driver assessment, remediation/rehabilitation, and the use of alternatives to the car in the event that older adults need to retire from driving. This unique book addresses changes in driving patterns over time, the impact of climate conditions on driving, mental and physical health issues, self-regulation by drivers, and driver safety.
Community Mobility addresses changes in driving patterns over time, the impact of climate conditions on driving, mental and physical health issues, self-regulation by drivers, and driver safety. This unique book also includes summaries of recent consensus conferences held in the United States and Canada to determine the best approaches to therapist services and counseling.
Community Mobility examines:
- the effect of alternative forms of transportation on drivers in declining mental and physical health
- safety interventions
- the relationship between chronic illness and an elderly driver’s home range
- road conditions versus driving patterns
- factors that can act as predictors in mobility patterns
- self-regulation and adaptation strategies
- effective remediation techniques
- a comprehensive driving evaluation (CDE)
- and much more!
Table of Contents
- Relationship of Health Status, Functional Status, and Psychosocial Status to Driving Among Elderly with Disabilities (William C. Mann, Dennis P. McCarthy, Sam Wu, and Machiko Tomita)
- Approaches to Improving Elders’ Safe Driving Abilities (Dennis P. McCarthy)
- The Relationship of Home Range to Functional Status and Cognitive Status of Frail Elders (Roxanna M. Bendixen, William C. Mann, and Machiko R. Tomita)
- The Influence of Climate and Road Conditions on Driving Patterns in the Elderly Population (Fred Sabback and William C. Mann)
- Changes Over Time in Community Mobility of Elders with Disabilities (Christy Cannon Hendrickson and William C. Mann)
- Self-Regulation of Driving by Older Persons (Summer Ruechel and William C. Mann)
- International Older Driver Consensus Conference on Assessment, Remediation, and Counseling for Transportation Alternatives: Summary and Recommendations (Burton W. Stephens, Dennis P. McCarthy, Michael Marsiske, Orit Shechtman, Sherrilene Classen, Michael Justiss, and William C. Mann)
- Recommendations of the Canadian Consensus Conference on Driving Evaluation in Older Drivers (Nicole Korner-Bitensky, Isabelle Gélinas, Malcolm Man-Son-Hing, and Shawn Marshall)
- Homebound Older Individuals Living in the Community: A Pilot Study (Sarah Sanders, Jan Miller Polgar, Marita Kloseck, and Richard Crilly)
- Reference Notes Included