Composite materials find diverse applications in areas including aerospace, automotive, architecture, energy, marine and military. This comprehensive textbook discusses three important aspects including manufacturing, mechanics and dynamic mechanical analysis of composites.
The textbook comprehensively presents fundamental concepts of composites, manufacturing techniques and advanced topics including as advances in composite materials in various fields, viscoelastic behavior of composites, toughness of composites and Nano mechanics of composites in a single volume. Topics such as polymer matrix composites, metal matrix composites, ceramic matrix composites, micromechanical behavior of a lamina, micromechanics and nanomechanics are discussed in detail.
Aimed at senior undergraduate and graduate students for a course on composite materials in the fields of mechanical engineering, automobile engineering and electronics engineering, this book:
- Discusses mechanics and manufacturing techniques of composite materials in a single volume.
- Explains viscoelastic behavior of composites in a comprehensive manner.
- Covers fatigue, creep and effect of thermal stresses on composites.
- Discusses concepts including bending, buckling and vibration of laminated plates in detail.
- Explains dynamic mechanical analysis (DMA) of composites.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction. 2. Materials. 3. Manufacturing Techniques. 4. Mechanics of Composites. 5. Linear Elastic Stress-Strain Characteristics of Fiber Reinforced Composites. 6. Micromechanics. 7. Plane Stress Assumption. 8. Global Coordinate System: Plane Stress Stress-Strain Relations. 9. Classical Lamination Theory. 10. The ABD Matrix. 11. Failure Theories for Composite Materials. 12. Mechanics of Short-Fiber Reinforced Composites. 13. Toughness of Composite Materials. 14. Inter-laminar Stresses. 15. Laminated Plates. 16. Viscoelastic & Dynamic Behavior of Composites. 17. Mechanical Testing of Composites.
Sumit Sharma is currently working as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering in Dr. B. R. Ambedkar National Institute of Technology (NIT) Jalandhar, India. His research interests include mechanics of composite materials, molecular dynamics, finite element modeling, strength of materials, fracture mechanics, mechanical vibrations, engineering drawing, theory of machines and dynamics of machines. He has been extensively working in the field of composite materials and has published more than 30 research papers in journals of national and international repute. He is the member of ASTM International, formerly known as American Society for Testing & Materials (ASTM) and life member of Indian Society of Mechanical Engineers (ISME).