Computer systems have become an important element of the world economy, with billions of dollars spent each year on development, manufacture, operation, and maintenance. Combining coverage of computer system reliability, safety, usability, and other related topics into a single volume, Computer System Reliability: Safety and Usability eliminates the need to consult many different and diverse sources in the hunt for the information required to design better computer systems.
After presenting introductory aspects of computer system reliability such as safety, usability-related facts and figures, terms and definitions, and sources for obtaining useful information on computer system reliability, safety, and usability, the book:
- Reviews mathematical concepts considered useful to understanding subsequent chapters
- Presents various introductory aspects of reliability, safety, and usability and computer system reliability basics
- Covers software reliability assessment and improvement methods
- Discusses important aspects of software quality and human error and software bugs in computer systems
- Highlights software safety and Internet reliability
- Details important aspects of software usability including the need for considering usability during the software development phase, software usability engineering process, software usability inspection methods, software usability test methods, and guidelines for conducting software usability testing
- Elucidates web usability facts and figures, common design errors, web page design, tools for evaluating web usability, and questions to evaluate website message communication effectiveness
- Examines important aspects of computer system life cycle costing
Written by systems reliability expert B.S. Dhillon, the book is accessible to all levels of readership, making it useful to beginners and seasoned professiona
Table of Contents
Introduction. Basic Mathematical Concepts. Reliability, Safety, and Usability Basics. Computer System Reliability Basics. Software Reliability Assessment and Improvement Methods. Software Quality. Human Error and Software Bugs in Computer Systems. Software Safety and Internet Reliability. Software Usability. Web Usability. Computer System Life Cycle Costing. Appendix.