• The detailed step-by-step directions make it ideal for use by students who are conducting their first research project.
• The large number of examples throughout the text makes the steps in conducting a survey clear and easy to follow.
• Covers only methods that are realistic for use by students who are conducting a survey within a single semester.
• For data analysis, the emphasis is on the use of basic statistics, with the computation of a small number of descriptive statistics illustrated. Easy-to-calculate margins of error are also illustrated.
• The firsthand experience of conducting a survey as a term project helps students understand both the contributions and limitations of survey research methods.
• Successfully conducting a term-project survey can give students the confidence to work on more elaborate studies in the future, such as research for a master’s degree project.
Chapter 1 A Survey As a Term Project
Chapter 2 Identifying a Topic for a Survey
Chapter 3 Formulating Research Purposes
Chapter 4 Locating Related Literature
Chapter 5 Writing a Literature Review
Chapter 6 Selecting a Sample
Chapter 7 Identifying Existing Instruments
Chapter 8 Constructing Instruments
Chapter 9 Measuring Demographics
Chapter 10 Administering Instruments
Chapter 11 Analysis: Percentages
Chapter 12 Analysis: Averages and Measures of Variability
Chapter 13 Analysis: Correlation
Chapter 14 Writing a Survey Research Report
Appendix A Preparing a Research Proposal
Appendix B An Overview of Reliability and Validity
Appendix C Introduction to Statistical Significance
Appendix D Free Internet Programs to Calculate Statistics