Contemporary Far-Right Thinkers and the Future of Liberal Democracy
- Available for pre-order. Item will ship after September 27, 2021
This book is the first systematic analysis of the efforts of a broad range of contemporary far-right thinkers to popularize their critiques of liberal democratic norms and institutions and make their ideas the subjects of sustained political and academic debate.
The book focuses on outspoken thinkers in Western and Eastern Europe, Russia, the United States, Canada, and Australia. They include Alain de Benoist, Guillaume Faye, Götz Kubitschek, Pat Buchanan, Fróði Midjord, Jason Jorjani, contributors to the online magazine Quillette, and the elusive personality known as the Bronze Age Pervert. The book explores the diverse intellectual foundations of these thinkers’ positions, the similarities and differences in their ideas, and their prospects for influencing attitudes about democratic politics within their respective countries. It examines diverse movements and schools of thought, including the European New Right, Paleoconservatism, the Alt-right, Identitarianism, White nationalism, and antifeminism.
Providing a much-needed global perspective, this book will be of considerable interest to students and scholars of populism, right-wing extremism, identity politics, fascism, racism, and conservatism.
Table of Contents
1. Contemporary Far-Right Thinkers in the Era of Liberal Democratic Crisis
A. James McAdams
Foundations of Far-Right Thought
2. Far-Right Intellectuals and the Illiberal Discourses of Identity
3. Pat Buchanan, Far-Right Thinking, Ethnic Loyalty, and Liberal Democracy
4. Guillaume Faye, from New Right Intellectual to Prophet of the Racial Civil War
Theory in Context
5. Making the Case for "Difference": From the Nouvelle Droite to the Identitarians and the New Vanguardists
A. James McAdams
6. Geopolitics or Ethnopolitics? Guillaume Faye, the European Far Right, and the "Russia Problem"
7. Quillette, Classical Liberalism, and the International New Right
Imogen Richards and Callum Jones
8. The Emergence of the Russian Young Conservatives
From Illiberalism to Extremism
9. The Making of Alt-History in Post-Communist Slovakia: Martin Lacko's Construction of a Proud Nation
10. The Conservative Revolution of the 21st Century: The Curious Case of Jason Jorjani
11. Beyond America: The Rise of the European Alt-Right
José Pedro Zúquete
Into the Future
12. The "Groyper" Movement in the US: Challenges for the Post-Alt-Right
13. Metapolitics, Masculinity, and Technology in the Rise of "Bronze Age Pervert"
14. Regeneration on the Right: Visions of the Future, Past and Present
15. The Shifting Faces of Far-Right Identity and the Future of Liberal Democracy
A. James McAdams is Professor of International Affairs in the Department of Political Science at the University of Notre Dame, USA.
Alejandro Castrillon is a Kellogg Institute for International Studies Fellow at the University of Notre Dame, USA.