Contemporary Spain provides an accessible introduction to the politics, economy, institutions media and cinema of contemporary Spain.
This fully revised fourth edition includes new material that makes this the most comprehensive, accurate and up-to-date account of the situation in Spain at this juncture
Key features include:
- accessible and authoritative background information ideal for the non-specialist language student
- each chapter contains a Spanish/English glossary giving guidance on the use of specialist terms in context along with further reading
- ideal starting point for more in-depth study.
New to this edition:
- coverage brought up-to-date to include the current economic crisis, related austerity measures and social difficulties
- new section on the changing public perception of the Spanish monarchy and significant new cases of corruption
- several chapters expanded to include key topics such as the role of the Internet and social media, key economic issues currently facing the country, youth employment and civil discontent
- ‘Spain in the Contemporary World’ thoroughly revised to include a more comprehensive account of the relationship between Spain and the EU and other parts of the world
- new chapter on ‘The Media and Film’ covering covering the most relevant directors and films in contemporary Spanish cinema.. This chapter also includes a discussion on the regional differences and cultures of the various autonomous communities.
- Suggestions for further reading at the end of each chapter.
Contemporary Spain is an invaluable resource for all undergraduate students on Hispanic Studies courses. The authoritative background information provides a solid foundation and a springboard for further study.
Table of Contents
1 The Spanish State 2 Political Parties 3 Nationalism and Regionalism 4 Spain in the Contemporary World 5 The Spanish Economy 6 Social Challenges 7 Social Security, Health and Education 8 The Environment 9 Justice, Public Order and DefenceChapter 10 Media and Film
BISAC Subject Codes/Headings:
- FOREIGN LANGUAGE STUDY / General
- FOREIGN LANGUAGE STUDY / Spanish
- LANGUAGE ARTS & DISCIPLINES / General