Drawing on a wide range of Chinese historical and contemporary texts, Contemporary Taiwanese Cultural Nationalism addresses diverse subjects including nationalist literature; language ideology; the crafting of a national history; the impact of Japanese colonialism and the increasingly strained relationship between China and Taiwan. This book is essential reading for all scholars of the history, culture and politics of Taiwan.
Table of Contents
2. Japanese colonialism and literary and linguistic reforms in colonial Taiwan
3. Postwar linguistic problems, literary development, and the debate on Hsiang-t'u literature
4. Crafting a national literature
5. Crafting a national language
6. Crafting a national history