154 pages | 4 B/W Illus.
The large-scale migration brought about by the expansion of the EU over a decade ago led to migration from less ethnically diverse countries to multicultural and super-diverse societies. This book examines the complex encounters between Polish migrant women and local populations in Manchester and Barcelona, with attention to the ways in which difference is negotiated and managed through everyday practices of conviviality, which help to overcome hierarchies and create elements of sameness. Illustrating how cultural differences may become important resources for interaction that facilitates positive relationships, Convivial Cultures in Multicultural Cities draws on the narratives of Polish migrant women to shed new light on everyday social relations between migrant women and local populations, including settled ethnic minorities and other migrants. In doing so, it contributes to our understanding of the positional nature of racial identification and complicates our ideas of whiteness and privilege.
1. Introduction: Setting the Context
2. Conceptual Considerations and the Research
3. Conviviality in Manchester and Barcelona (and their Environs)
4. Conviviality in the Workplace
5. Brexit Narratives – Conviviality under Threat?
6. Conclusions: The Future of Conviviality in Manchester and Barcelona
Series now in its 20th year
Studies in Migration and Diaspora is a series designed to showcase the interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary nature of research in this important field. Volumes in the series cover local, national and global issues and engage with both historical and contemporary events. The books will appeal to scholars, students and all those engaged in the study of migration and diaspora. Amongst the topics covered are minority ethnic relations, transnational movements and the cultural, social and political implications of moving from 'over there', to 'over here'.
For a limited time only, get 20% off the series with discount code ET20*
* Offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer or discount and only applies to books purchased directly via our website.