© 2012 – Routledge
The ideal companion to developing the essential skills needed to undertake the core module of English Legal System as part of undergraduate study of law or a qualifying GDL/CPE conversion course. Providing support for learning and revision throughout, the key skills are demonstrated in the context of the core topics of study with expertly written example sets of notes, followed by opportunities to learn and test your knowledge by creating and maintaining your own summaries of the key points. The chapters are reinforced with a series of workpoints to test your analytical, communication and organisational skills; checkpoints, to test recall of the essential facts; and research points, to practice self-study and to gain familiarity with legal sources.
"Course Notes: the English Legal System" is designed for those keen to succeed in examinations and assessments with view to taking you one step further towards the development of the professional skills required for your later career. In addition, concepts are set out both verbally and in diagrammatic form for clarity, and the essential case law is displayed in a series of straightforward and indisposable tables illustrating how best to analyse and compare legal points as expressed by the opinions of the authorities in each case.
To check your answers to questions examples are provided online along with sample essay plans and web links to useful web sites and sources at www.unlockingthelaw.co.uk, making this the ideal resource to guide you through the demands of compiling and revising the information you will need for your exams.
'This book is perfect for students who are coming to the subject for the first time….Understanding the law in its most simple form is essential, and this book allows you to do this.'
'This is a fabulous addition to the student book market… I only wish it had been available when I was a student!'
1. Sources of law
2. The doctrine of judicial precedent
3. Statutory interpretation
4. Civil courts
5. Criminal courts and procedure
9. Lay magistrates
10. The legal profession
11. The judiciary
Course Notes is designed to help you succeed in your law examinations and assessments. Each guide supports revision of an undergraduate and conversion GDL/CPE law degree module by demonstrating good practice in creating and maintaining ideal notes. Course Notes will support you in actively and effectively learning the material by guiding you through the demands of compiling the information you need.
• Written by expert lecturers who understand your needs with examination requirements in mind
• Covers key cases, legislation and principles clearly and concisely so you can recall information confidently
• Contains easy to use diagrams, definition boxes and work points to help you understand difficult concepts
• Provides self test opportunities throughout for you to check your understanding
• Illustrates how to compile the ideal set of revision notes
• Covers the essential modules of study for undergraduate llb and conversion-to-law GDL/CPE courses
• Additional online revision guidance such as sample essay plans, interactive quizzes and a glossary of legal terms at www.unlockingthelaw.co.uk