Creative Writing Scholars on the Publishing Trade
Practice, Praxis, Print
- Available for pre-order. Item will ship after August 16, 2021
In Creative Writing Scholars on the Publishing Trade: Practice, Praxis, Print, Sam Meekings and Marshall Moore, along with prominent scholar-practitioners, undertake a critical examination of the intersection of creative writing scholarship and the publishing industry.
Recent years have seen dramatic shifts within the publishing industry as well as rapid evolution and development in academic creative writing programs. This book addresses all of these core areas and transformations, such as the pros and cons of self-publishing versus traditional publishing, issues of diversity and representation within the publishing industry, digital transformations, and possible career pathways for writing students.
It is crucial for creative writing pedagogy to deal with the issues raised by the sudden changes within the industry and this book will be of interest to creative writing students and practitioners as well as publishing students and professionals.
Table of Contents
Sam Meekings and Marshall Moore
- Publishing Processes for a Digital Age: Crowdsourcing and Patronage in Online Self-Publishing
- Emerging Writers/ Established Publishers: A Ten-Year Study of the Hachette MS Development Program
- Literary Journals, Editorial Courses, and Equity in the Publishing Industry
- The (Selfish) Power of Book Reviews: Reading, Citizenship, and Platform
- Revisiting the Challenge: Rethinking Creative Writing Ten Years On
- Science Fiction’s Women Problem
- Beyond the Double Life of Writers: Creative Writing as Portfolio Practice
- Toward Success: A Taxonomy for the Creative Writing Classroom
- Mid-List Novella Publishing in the Twenty-First Century – the Wisdom Tree Experiment
- The Programmatic, the Problematic, and the Radical Racial Tradition (Or, On Being Stamped)
- Refreshing the Curriculum
Kim Wilkins, Helen Marshall, and Marina Tulic
Marcos Hernandez and Janelle Adsit
Christopher B. Patterson
Sam Meekings is Assistant Professor of Creative Writing at Northwestern University in Qatar.
Marshall Moore is Course Leader and Senior Lecturer in English, Creative Writing & Publishing at Falmouth University, UK.