The book provides a data-driven approach to real-world crew resource management (CRM) applicable to commercial pilot performance. It addresses the shift to a systems-based resilience thinking that aims to understand how worker performance provides a buffer against failure. This book will be the first to bring these ideas together.
Taking a competence-based approach offers a more coherent, relevant approach to CRM. The book presents relevant, real-world examples of the concepts and outlines a change in thinking around pilot performance and data interpretation that is overdue.
Airlines, pilots and aviation industry professionals will benefit from the insights into organisational design and alternative approaches to training.
- Approaches CRM from a competence-based perspective
- Uses a systems model to bring coherence to CRM
- Includes a chapter on using blended learning and virtual reality to deliver CRM
- Features research on work/life balance, morale, pilot fatigue and link to error
- Operationalises ‘resilience engineering’ in a crew context
Table of Contents
1. Why a ‘Competence-based’ Approach to Crew Resource Management Training?
2. Thinking about Failure
3. A Systems Model of Aviation
4. On Being Human – Frailties, Vulnerabilities and Their Effect on Performance
5. Doing Normal Work – Processes at Level 1
6. Error as Performance Feedback
7. Acting in the Public Domain – Collaboration to Achieve Operational Goals
9. Organisational Factors – Level 3
10. Facilitating Aviation – Decision-Making at Level 4
11. Training for Competence
12. Assessment of Performance
Norman MacLeod has been involved in different aspects of training design and delivery in aviation since 1977. He has designed, delivered and trained trainers in the field of CRM since 1989. He has worked in all types of aviation, including rotary wing, business jets, low-cost carriers and legacy airlines. Most recently, he was the Human Factors Manager for Cathay Pacific Airways in Hong Kong. He has spoken at numerous conferences and published articles in CAT Journal.