320 pages | 29 B/W Illus.
This book discusses steps helping professionals should take in order to prepare for a crisis in their schools and community. The author introduces a Crisis Management Plan, which discusses ways to restore a school/community to its pre-crisis equilibrium. The author also includes information on how schools should talk to media personnel and parents in times of a crisis, checklists, assessment instruments, and sample documentation forms that can be used in times of a crisis.
"I believe this book clearly extricates the need for strategic crisis management in schools throughout America. Without a doubt, critical incidents and disastrous situations impose upon the learning of students and impact the culture of the community.
The writing is superb and offers magnanimous research data for educators in their quest to develop programs for respective professionals who are given the task of ensuring students feel safe in schools. This information will also assist professionals in higher education as they prepare education candidates for real-life episodes in schools and communities." -- Norma W. Brumage, Ed.D., Norfolk State University, Associate Professor/Secondary Education and School Leadership
"Crisis Intervention and Crisis Management is a must read for anyone connected with the school environment. Educators, administrators, community response personnel, mental health providers and parents alike will discover practical strategies that are vital to the implementation of an effective action plan when disaster strikes unexpectedly. Dr. Thompson thoroughly and methodically addresses every facet of a critical incident, offering the reader a detailed roadmap to seamlessly manage a variety of situations that can impact both children and adolescents. An added feature compassionately embraces the topic of debriefing and self-care for the caregiver." -- Eric Scalise, Ed.S., Counseling Department Chair at Regent University
"There are two types of school personnel: those who have been through a crisis and those who will go through a crisis. Dr. Thompson's book hits all the critical topics and is a powerful resource for both groups." -- Dr. Glenn L. Koonce, Associate Professor, Regent University
1. A Glimpse of Terrorist Acts: Both International and Domestic
2. Crisis, Critical Incidents, Disasters and Terrorism: Fundamental Emotional Reactions from a Developmental Perspective
3. Crisis Intervention/Crisis Management: First Response Procedures
4. Critical Incidents and First Response Procedures
5. Disaster Response Procedures
6. Strategies for the Resolution of Grief and Loss
7. Debriefing Survivors Following a Crisis, Disaster or Critical Incident
8. Activities for Children and Adolescents to Process Grief
9. Sample Policies to Prevent Legal Liabilities, Assessments and Screening Instruments
10. Compassion Fatigue