The social, cultural and economic significance of sport has never been more evident than it is today. Adopting a critical management perspective, this book examines the most important themes and challenges in global sport management. From match-fixing, doping, bribery and corruption to corporate social responsibility, governance, and new media, it helps students, researchers and practitioners to understand the changing face of the global sport industry.
Written by leading international sport management experts, Critical Issues in Global Sport Management includes twenty chapters and real-life case studies from around the world. It examines contemporary governance and management issues as well as the ethical challenges faced by the global sport industry, including questions of integrity and accountability in recent drug scandals that have been widely reported and debated. This book deals with such questions and many more, highlighting the fact that the global sport system is in urgent need of new and innovative solutions to these ongoing problems.
Based on cutting-edge research from the US, UK, Australia, Europe and beyond, this book will add depth and currency to any course in sport management, sport business, sport development, or sport events.
1. Critical Issues in Global Sport
2. Governance, CSR and Diversity: A Critical Field of Study in Global Sport Management
3. Gender Diversity in the Governance of International Sport Federations
4. Integrity and Corruption in Sport
5. Match Fixing and Manipulation in Sport
6. Doping Control and Global Sport
7. Head Injuries and Concussion Issues
8. Globalisation and Professional Sport
9. Socio-Economic Impacts of Sports Mega-Events: More Unintended Than Intended?
10. Social Media, Fan Engagement and Global Sport
11. Managing Football Hooliganism
12. Farewell to the Hooligan? Modern Developments in Football Crowd Management
13. Global Sport-for-Development
14. Sport and International Diplomacy
15. Analytics, Technology and High-Performance Sport
16. A General Theory of the Use of Technology in Sport and Some Consequences
17. The Tyranny of Perpetual Innovation: Global Mobile Media, Digital Communications and Television
18. Social Media Analytics for Sport Management: Pitfalls, Tools and Best Practices
19. Digital Technology and Sport Sponsorship
20. Current Trends and Future Research Challenges in Global Sport Management