Informed by the scholarly and practical viewpoints of a myriad of internationally recognised experts, this engaging and timely volume poses a set of pertinent questions that cover critical and contemporary sustainability issues in hospitality and tourism and proposes actionable solutions.
Embellished with informative tables, diagrams and photographs, key questions and debates are discussed from a variety of angles with proposed solutions by industry practitioners, academics and consultants belonging to the Hospitality Net World Panel on Sustainability in Hospitality. Designed to facilitate contemporary discussion and debate, this book presents constructive dialogues which are designed to lead to action within the hospitality industry and education.
Key questions cover the following topics:
• Major contemporary sustainability challenges – e.g. climate change, biodiversity loss, impacts of pandemics, water scarcity, human right risks.
• Specific hospitality functions or departments – e.g. food and beverage, engineering, health and safety, guest relationship, finance, purchasing, human resources.
• Strategic issues related to marketing and stakeholder relationships – e.g. sustainability working groups, return on sustainability investment, marketing and reporting sustainability, certification, supplier relationship, engaging guests.
This book is an essential reading for students and academics in the field of hospitality and tourism management, as well as industry professionals searching for answers to the challenges they face in enacting sustainability in their business.
List of figures
List of tables
List of contributors
Organisation of the book
How to Use This Book
Part 1: Global Sustainability Challenges facing the Hospitality Industry
1. Climate Change
Gabriel C. M. Laeis and Willy Legrand
2. Biodiversity Loss
3. Water Scarcity
Natasha Montesalvo and Melinda Watt
4. Human Rights Risks along the Supply Chain
Sustainable Hospitaility Alliance
5. Risk Management
Trevor Girard and Bijan Khazai
Part 2: Operational Sustainability in Hospitality
6. Food Waste and Net Zero Ambitions
Rebecca Hawkins et al.
7. Food and Beverage Sustainability Criteria
Ernst Jonker and Elena Cavagnaro
8. Future of Food and Menu Design
Malu Boerwinkel et al.
9. From Wellness to Wellbeing
Celine Vadam et al.
10. Balancing Health and Safety with Sustainability
11. Incentivising Guests to Save Resources
Christopher Warren and Maxwell Warren
12. Charging Guests for Carbon Emissions
Sonu Shivdasani and Arnfinn Oines
13. Sustainable Procurement and Product Certification
Johanna Wagner and Carina Hopper
14. Zero Plastic in Hotels
Rachel McCaffrey, Jo Hendrickx and Nicolas Dubrocard
15. Rewarding Employees for Sustainability Commitment
Georges El Hajal
16. Attracting Talent through Sustainability
Ralf Burbach, Julia Lenz and Stefan Jooss
Part 3: Hospitality Strategies, Metrics and Stakeholder Participation
17. Green Teams and Unlocking Collective Intelligence
Bastienne Bernasco and Franziska Altenrath
18. Supplier Relationship and Sustainability Standards
19. Return on Sustainability Investments
Celine Vadam et al.
20. Key Metrics and Reporting Sustainability
Xenia zu Hohenlohe and Joshua Papachristidis
21. Marketing Sustainability
22. Communicating Sustainability to Guests
Nancy Loman Scanlon
23. Engaging Guests in the Sustainability Experience
Adela Balderas-Cejudo and Belén López
24. Stakeholder Engagement and Regenerative Hospitality
Marina Laurent and Carlos Martin-Rios
25. Hotels and e-Mobility
Jonathon Day and Roya Sadat Alayinpour
26. Incorporating Nature in Sustainable Hotel Design
Willy Legrand, Clare Hindley and Akupe Matthew-Bolofinde
27. The Greater Purpose of Hospitality
Henri Kuokkanen and Jeffrey Catrett
'Sustainability is an undeniably critical factor in the future and prosperity of all businesses – particularly hospitality – and we have a duty to protect the ecosystems and communities in which we serve. This book asks the challenging questions that we must all reflect on, while also providing practical advice and informed guidance from over 60 specialists from the sustainability and hospitality worlds. This is crucial reading for hospitality students, practitioners and leaders alike as we all seek to achieve net positive hospitality.'
Glenn Mandziuk, Chief Executive Officer, Sustainable Hospitality Alliance
'Although the pandemic presented a harsh reset for the world, it was also a positive catalyst in encouraging people to view sustainability as an essential consideration in their everyday lives and lifestyle choices. What we are witnessing is an evolution of travel, and it has never been so important for the hospitality industry to work together collectively and learn from each other. This latest book by Dr Legrand, Dr Kuokkanen and Dr Day provides us with a valuable and well-researched resource from the top experts in the field to help guide us to make better choices and prioritise a more holistic commitment to protecting the planet.'
Brenda Collin, Executive Vice President Europe, Preferred Hotel Group
'The hospitality industry faces numerous challenges in meeting society's environmental and social sustainability demands. This book offers extensive literature on sustainability and hospitality to meet those challenges. It is highly recommended, as it elaborates on critical topics related to those challenges. The book's format is user-friendly: asking questions, developing answers to them, and providing practical examples and possible solutions. The included chapters encourage discussion and exchange of ideas, enriching students' learning and the future leaders of hospitality.'
H. G. Parsa, Barron Hilton Chair & Professor, Daniels College of Business, University of Denver, Colorado, USA