Biology, Ecology and Sustainable Agroforestry
- Available for pre-order. Item will ship after July 28, 2021
Dalbergia sissoo (Shisham) is a perennial tree species native to the Asian subcontinent. It is an economically significant tree for its value in forestry, agroforestry, and horticulture. The high-quality timber imparts this tree species a significant commercial value. Besides valuable timber, it also exhibits medicinal, industrial, and agroforestry allied attributes. This tree has been introducing to the geographical regions where it does not exist naturally, which indicates its significant properties, getting diverse communities' attention. This book provides information about this tree species based on the latest research trends and development on the subject. It addresses researchers, forestry specialists, natural resource managers, or all those interested in the rehabilitation, maintenance, and management of Dalbergia sissoo tree resources.
- Discusses botanical features, reproductive characters, taxonomy, geographical distribution, and ecological importance of Dalbergia sissoo.
- Highlights physiological and biochemical features of Dalbergia sissoo and vis-à-vis contribution to the sustainability of the ecosystem.
- Explains ethnobotany of Dalbergia sissoo, its ethnobotanical uses to cure various ailments, and contribution to the pharmaceutical industry.
- Provides a comprehensive account of insect pest threat and diseases as a leading cause of deteriorating growth, cultivation, productivity, and quality losses in Dalbergia sissoo.
- Describes conventional breeding methods and non-conventional strategies for genetic improvement, biodiversity, and conservation of D. sissoo
- Relays sustainability, socio-economic importance, agroforestry trends, current scenario, and future challenges of D. sisso
Table of Contents
SECTION I: Biology of Dalbergia sissoo
Chapter 1: Reproductive biology, botany and taxonomical description of Dalbergia sissoo
Siddra Ijaz, Imran Ul Haq, Maria Babar
Chapter 2: Ecology of Dalbergia sissoo
Muhammad Abdullah, Muhammad Rafay
Chapter 3: Physiological and biochemical dynamics of Dalbergia sissoo
Siddra Ijaz, Rashda Naheed, Hafiza Arooj Razzaq, Bukhtawer Nasir
Chapter 4: Ethnobotany and bioprospecting of Dalbergia sissoo
Rashda Naheed, Muhammad Kaleem Sarwar
SECTION II: Biotic and Abiotic Challenges of Dalbergia sissoo and Strategic Controls
Chapter 5: Diseases of Dalbergia sissoo: Etiology and integrated management of economically important diseases
Imran Ul Haq, Siddra Ijaz, Muhammad Zunair Latif
Chapter 6: Insect pests of Dalbergia sissoo: impact and risk mitigation
Muhammad Arshad, Asad Aslam, De-fu Chi, Waseem Akbar
Chapter 7: Genetics and breeding of Dalbergia sissoo
Mariam Hassan, Siddra Ijaz, Sehrish Sarwar, Ali Hassan Khan
Chapter 8: Biotechnology for the genetic improvement, biodiversity and conservation of Dalbergia sissoo
Zaib un Nisa, Yu Yang, Ali Inayat Mallano
Chapter 9: Environmental influences on health and Productivity of Dalbergia sissoo
Imran Ul Haq, Siddra Ijaz, Nabeeha Aslam Khan
SECTION III: Socio-economic Significance
Chapter 10: Dalbergia sissoo management practices in Agroforestry
Qaiser Shakeel, Taimoor Shakeel, Muhammad Raheel, Rabia Tahir Bajwa, Huma Abbas
Chapter 11: Socio-economical preview of historical background, current scenario and future challenges of Dalbergia sissoo in Indian subcontinent
Imran Ul Haq, Muhammad Kaleem Sarwar, Anjum Faraz