Database Management System
An Evolutionary Approach
- Available for pre-order. Item will ship after January 28, 2022
Database management system (DBMS) is a collection of programs that enable users to create and maintain a database, it also consists of a collection of interrelated data and a set of programs to access that data. The DBMS is hence a general purpose software system that facilitates the processes of defining, constructing and manipulating databases for various applications.
The primary goal of a DBMS is to provide an environment that is both convenient and efficient to use in retrieving and storing data base information. It is an interface between the user of application programs on one hand and the data base on the other.
The objective of book "Database Management System: An Evolutionary Approach" is to enable learner:
- grasp basic understanding of DBMS, its need and terminologies.
- make a difference between the traditional file based systems and DBMS.
- to code while learn to grasp theory in practical way.
- with plenty of examples and case studies for better understanding.
This book Database Management System: An Evolutionary Approach is intended to give undergraduate and post graduate students a fundamental background in databases management system. The book follows an evolutionary learning approach that emphasize more on the basic concepts and build a strong foundation to learn more advanced topics like normalizations, Normal Forms, PL/SQL, Transactions, concurrency control, etc.
This book also gives the detailed knowledge with a focus on ER diagrams and its reductions in tables, with sufficient amount of SQL codes for more practical understanding.
Table of Contents
1. Basics of Database. 1.1 Introduction and History of Database. 1.2 Data and Information. 1.3 Database. 1.4 Need for a Database. 1.5 File based database management system. 1.6 Database System. 1.7 Database System components. 1.8 Database Management System Services. 1.9 Database Characteristics. 1.10 Advantages of Database. 1.11 Limitations of Database. Case Studies. Summary. Review Questions. References. 2. Data models and Architecture of DBMS. 2.1 Evolution of Data Model. 2.2 Hierarchical Database Model. 2.3 Network Data Model. 2.4 Relational Database Model. 2.5 Object Oriented Data Model. 2.6 Object Relational Data Model. 2.7 Three Level Architecture of Database. 2.8 Data Independence. 2.9 Database Languages. Summary. Review Questions. References. 3. Relational Database Management System (RDBMS). 3.1 Difference Between RDBMS and DBMS. 3.2 Features of RDBMS. 3.3 Advantages of RDBMS. 3.4 Disadvantages of RDBMS. 3.5 Examples of RDBMS. 3.6 RDBMS Terminologies. 3.7 Keys in Database. 3.8 Integrity Constraints in DBMS. 3.9 Relational Algebra. 3.10 Structured Query Language (SQL). 3.11 CODD’s Twelve Rules of Relational Database. 3.12 Database Development Life Cycle. Summary. Case Studies. Review Questions. References. 4. Entity Relationship Model. 4.1 Entity Relationship Diagram. 4.2 Components of a ER Diagram. 4.3 Participation Constraints. 4.4 Strong and Weak Relationship. 4.5 Handling Many to Many Relationship. 4.6 Example of E-R Model. 4.7 Enhanced Entity-Relationship Model. 4.8 Reduction of ER Diagram to Relational model. Summary. Review Questions. References. 5. Normalization. 5.1 Introduction Normalization –A bottom up approach. 5.2 Need for Normalization. 5.3 Types of Dependencies. 5.4 First Normal Form. 5.5 Second Normal Form. 5.6 Third Normal Form. 5.7 Boyce-Codd Normal Form. 5.8 Multi-valued Dependency. 5.9 Join Dependency. 5.10 Lossless and Lossy Decompositions. Summary. Review Questions. References. 6. Managing Data Using Structured Query Language (SQL). 6.1 Introduction to SQL. 6.2 Data Definition Commands. 6.3 Data Manipulation Language (DML). 6.4 Data Control Language. 6.5 Transaction Control Language (TCL). 6.6 Data Query Language (DQL). 6.7 Aggregate Functions. 6.8 Date and Time Functions. 6.9 String Functions. 6.10 Conversion Functions. 6.11 Mathematical Functions. 6.12 Special Operators. 6.13 Types of Constraints. 6.14 Sub Query. Summary. Review Question. References. 7. Introduction to PL/SQL. 7.1 Variable and Constants. 7.2 Data Types. 7.3 PL/SQL Literals. 7.4 Control Statement. 7.5 PL/SQL case statement. 7.6 PL/SQL Loop. 7.7 PL/SQL Continue statement. 7.8 PL/SQL GOTO statement. 7.9 PL/SQL Procedure and Functions. 7.10 PL/SQL cursor. 7.11 PL/SQL Exception. 7.12 PL/SQL Exception Handling. 7.13 PL/SQL Triggers. Summary. Review Questions. References. 8. Transaction Management in Database. 8.1 Definition of Transaction. 8.2 Properties of Transaction. 8.3 States of Transactions. 8.4 Schedule. 8.5 Serializability. 8.6 Recoverable Schedules. 8.7 Concurrency Control. 8.8 Concurrency Control Mechanism. 8.9 Database Back UP and Recovery. 8.10 Security, Integration and Authorization. Summary. Review Questions. References.
Dr. Jagdish Chandra Patni is working as Associate Professor at School of Computer Science , University of Petroleum and Energy Studies, Dehradun, Uttarakhand, India. He did his Ph.D. in the area of High Performance computing in 2016 . He competed his M. Tech. and B. Tech. in the year 2009 and 2004 respectively. Dr Patni is actively working in the research areas of Database Systems, High Performance computing, Software Engineering, Machine Learning and IoT. He has authored more than 50 research articles in the journal and conferences of repute nationally and internationally. Dr Patni have authored 5+ books and book chapter with international publishers like Springer. He is active Guest Editor/Reviewer of various referred International journals. He has delivered 15 Keynote/Guest speech in India and abroad. He has organized multiple conferences/seminars/workshops/FDP’s in India and abroad. He has been awarded by researcher of year award in year 2018 by SRD, teacher of the year 2020 by Govt. of Uttarakhand, best paper award by Hosei University Tokyo, Japan in 2020 and many more. He is Senior member of IEEE, MIE, IEANG, IACSIT, Vigyan Bharti, etc.
Dr. Hitesh Kumar Sharma is working as Associate Professor at School of Computer Science, University of Petroleum and Energy Studies, Dehradun, Uttarakhand, India. He did his Ph.D. in Database Performance Tuning in 2016. He has completed his M.Tech. in 2009. Currently he is also working in Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Image Processing and IoT with Blockchain. He has authored more than 60 research articles in the journal and conferences of repute nationally and internationally. Dr. Sharma have authored 3 books and book chapter with international publishers like Springer. He is active Guest Editor/Reviewer of various referred International journals. He has delivered various Keynote/Guest speech in India and abroad. He got many certifications in DevOps in last two years. He has also published 03 Patents in his academic career in last few years.
Dr. Ravi Tomar is currently working in the capacity of Assistant Professor (Selection Grade) in the School of Computer Science at the University of Petroleum & Energy Studies, Dehradun, India. He is an experienced academician with a demonstrated history of working in the higher education industry. Skilled in Programming, Computer Networking, Stream processing, Python, Oracle Database, C++, Core Java, J2EE, RPA and CorDApp. His research interests include Wireless Sensor Networks, Image Processing, Data Mining and Warehousing, Computer Networks, big data technologies and VANET. He has authored 51+ papers in different research areas, filled two Indian patent, edited 2 books and have authored 4 books. He has delivered Training to corporates nationally and internationally on Confluent Apache Kafka, Stream Processing, RPA, CordaApp, J2EE and IoT to clients like KeyBank, Accenture, Union Bank of Philippines, Ernst and Young and Deloitte. Dr Tomar is officially recognized as Instructor for Confluent and CordApp. He has conducted various International conferences in India, France and Nepal. He has been awarded a young researcher in Computer Science and Engineering by RedInno, India in 2018.
Ms. Avita Katal is working as an Assistant Professor (SS) in the Department of Virtualization, School of Computer Science, University of Petroleum and Energy Studies, Dehradun, Uttarakhand, India. She received her B. E degree from University of Jammu in Computer Science Engineering in 2010 and M. Tech degree in 2013. She is currently pursuing her Ph.D. in the area of Cloud Computing from University of Petroleum and Energy Studies, Dehradun, India. Her research interest is in the area of Cloud Computing, Mobile Ad hoc Networks, Blockchain, IOT, and Artificial Intelligence etc. She has published various research papers in renowned conferences and journals and has also served as a reviewer for various conferences and journals. She has a keen interest in improving the teaching pedagogies and has participated in various faculty development programs. She is also currently pursuing a Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice (PGCAP) from University of Petroleum and Energy Studies, Dehradun, India.