David Marshall Lang's Journey From Russia to Armenia
via Caucasian Georgia
- Available for pre-order. Item will ship after December 20, 2021
Armenia is the oldest Christian country in the world and there are few countries which have made, for their size, such an outstanding contribution to civilization as Armenia has, while yet remaining virtually unknown to the Western world.
The volumes in this set, written and translated by an acknowledged authority on history and religion in the former Soviet republics of Armenia and Georgia, as well as Russia itself:
- Examine the role played by an 18th Century Russian Radical in Tsarist Russia and his subsequent political legacy.
- Provide a translation of a legend important for theologians and scholars of comparative religion because through this legend the life of the Buddha and the ascetic ideal he exemplified significantly influenced the Christian West.
- Discuss the cultural, philosophic, religious and scientific contribution Armenia has made to the world.
- Provide a geographic and ethnic survey of Armenia and its people.
Table of Contents
1. David Marshall Lang The First Russian Radical Alexander Radishchev 978-1-032-16359-8
2. David Marshall Lang The Balavariani 978-1-032-16861-6
3. David Marshall Lang The Wisdom of Balavar 978-1-032-16873-9
4. David Marshall Lang Armenia: Cradle of Civilization 978-1-032-16915-6
5. David Marshall Lang The Armenians: People in Exile 978-1-032-16882-1.
David Marshall Lang was appointed Acting British Vice-Consul in Tabriz in 1945. In 1946 he became a fellow of St John’s College, Cambridge and lecturing in Georgian at SOAS London from 1949-52. From 1952-1953 he was senior fellow at the Russian Institute of Columbia University in New York. In 1958 he was appointed Reader in Caucasian Studies at SOAS. Visiting Professor of Caucasian Studies at UCLA from 1964-5, in 1965 he became Professor of Caucasian Studies at London University. He was Honorary Secretary of the Royal Asiatic Society from 1962-64 and held an Honorary Doctorate from Tbilisi University.